New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

lightning hit my mac stuff

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

claydoctor

claydoctor is on a distinguished road

Lightning hit my house, and picked one circuit to destroy, the one with all of the tech stuff. Trying to see what is alive...

1. My main imac (4 years old) starts, little light comes on, I here the fan and/or hard drive going, but nothing beyond that. Any advice? Dead or alive, worth repairing? Logic board b ad, any ideas, similar experience. Made a back up time machine onto an external hardrive month ago, so have have most files saved.

2. I have a brother laser printer. I have a macpro, now using as main mac. trying to get the mac pro to see the printers available, none listed. installed drivers from brother, no help. usb connect is good, but macpro still wont see it. printer seems fine, running, etc. any advice on how to get macpro to see printer. running 10.6.8.

3. Macpro (1,1) seems fine, but every now and then when it starts, the screen doesn't advance, and the fan blows really lowd, never heard that before, shutting it down, and restart makes everything ok again, cause to be concerned, did lightning damage macpro too?

any help is appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

did you have any of it on a surge supressor? If so most of the half way decent ones insure you up to at least 50K for anything that got fried. you also have your home owners / Renters insurance if you wish to go down that route

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
claydoctor

claydoctor is on a distinguished road

yes, all on multiple surge protectors an d battery back ups, but went right through them. I am looking into insurance, but have to keep functioning.

any advice on the printer not showing up? Thanks for caring to reply.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

other then trying other USB ports on the Mac Pro, I would check the printer on another Computer. I assume you have verified your USB ports are still functional. Sounds like the ports on the printer may have gotten fried

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
did you have any of it on a surge supressor?
Lightning strikes go right through surge protectors. Only a whole house surge protector has any chance at all against a direct strike. I had the same thing happen some years back and lost around $800 worth of equipment not counting my air handler controller motor which also got fried.

Unfortunately, with my home owner's insurance deductible in force I wound paying the tab for repairs and replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

I was looking at several APC surge suppressors and they mention Protection from Lightning Strikes. I know how far fetched that is. But if they say it then the Equipment guarantee should pay out.

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
westom

westom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
I was looking at several APC surge suppressors and they mention Protection from Lightning Strikes. I know how far fetched that is. But if they say it then the Equipment guarantee should pay out.
View the numbers. That near zero protection is sufficient to claim 100% protection ... subjectively.

View the fine print. So many exemptions. They need not honor your claim. Why would they? A protector too close to electronics and too far from earth ground cannot do protection. Sometimes even makes damage easier to any nearby appliance.

A protector adjacent to electronics must somehow block or absorb a surge Open one up. Obviously it cannot. Obviously a surge is connected directly to nearby appliances as the OP demonstrates. Better protection is already inside appliances. In his case, a surge was so large as to even overwhelm that protection.

Protection is never defined by a protector. Not even a 'whole house' protector. Protection is defined by what absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. 'Whole house' protector is superior because it makes that low impedance (ie 'less than 10 foot') connection to earth. Then superior protection inside each appliance is not overwhelmed.

How to make a 'whole house' protector even better? Upgrade what does the protection - earthing. Protection is always about a surge absorbed harmlessly outside the building; in earth.
QUOTE Thanks
bud--

bud-- will become famous soon enough

Excellent information on surges and surge protection is at:
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf
- "How to protect your house and its contents from lightning: IEEE guide for surge protection of equipment connected to AC power and communication circuits" published by the IEEE in 2005 (the IEEE is a major organization of electrical and electronic engineers).
And also:
http://www.eeel.nist.gov/817/pubs/sp...%20happen!.pdf
- "NIST recommended practice guide: Surges Happen!: how to protect the appliances in your home" published by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology in 2001

The IEEE surge guide is aimed at people with some technical background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
View the fine print. So many exemptions.
My TV died yesterday. Musta been a surge.
Fine print is necessary.

Quote:
A protector too close to electronics and too far from earth ground cannot do protection.
Nonsense.

Both the IEEE and NIST surge guides say plug-in protectors are effective (but not likely against a direct lighting strike to the house).

Quote:
A protector adjacent to electronics must somehow block or absorb a surge
Nonsense. Neither service panel or plug-in protectors work by "blocking" or "absorbing".

As explained in the IEEE surge guide (starting page 30) they primarily work by limiting the voltage from each wire (power and signal) to the ground at the protector. The voltage between the wires going to the protected equipment is safe for the protected equipment.

When using a plug-in protector all interconnected equipment needs to be connected to the same protector. External connections, like coax also must go through the protector.

Quote:
Better protection is already inside appliances.
Nonsense.

Quote:
How to make a 'whole house' protector even better?
A protector at the service panel protects from surges coming into the house on the power service wires. This was a direct lightning strike to the house - a service panel protector does not protect from that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with running Mountain Lion on my 32 bit machine | look up three finger tap doesn't work »