New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problem on input sources under system preference

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

basecontrol

basecontrol is on a distinguished road

Under input sources in language and text, there are some secondary language options under the main language which I did not select but have been greyed out. In this case, Anjal under Tamil Input Method. I cannot unchecked it, does anyone know why and how to get rid of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 11.58.17 PM.jpg (106.9 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's the same under mine also. You can't get rid of it and since you don't have the Tamil Input Method selected, it doesn't matter. Just leave it alone. You'll notice that there are other languages that have the sub folders selected but the main language is not selected: Japanese, Chinese, etc. This is normal.
QUOTE Thanks
basecontrol

Ic...I guess I'm just a neat freak and it seems unorganized. Also, I find it really weird because I never selected the language to begin with, and I doubt the system will use those languages because I set it up as English initially.
I understand this may be normal, but if anyone knows the workaround for this, please let me know, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

There is no work around. It's the way the Language and Text preferences have been designed. I might add that as a user of other languages, it's very convenient the way Apple has set this up. Doing the same thing in Windows is much more difficult and costly.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

To remove those greyed out checks - you have to check the main heading above them, then uncheck them, then uncheck the main heading.

I have not done it, so I have no clue what result it may have.

Quite frankly, I have been to that particular screen in system preferences perhaps 4 times in 6 years.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
basecontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
To remove those greyed out checks - you have to check the main heading above them, then uncheck them, then uncheck the main heading.

I have not done it, so I have no clue what result it may have.

Quite frankly, I have been to that particular screen in system preferences perhaps 4 times in 6 years.
Thanks for the respond. I did try to check the main heading, as in my first post, but you can see from the sceenshot even though I check the Tamil input method, Anjal is still greyed out and I can't get rid of that
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Like I said above, you can't.... There is another way but it's a bit drastic and can cause problems. There are several utilities which can remove unused languages from your Mac. For example... they can remove every language you check off leaving only English. However, there are some applications (MS Office for one) which will choke and die unless the other languages are present.
QUOTE Thanks
basecontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Like I said above, you can't.... There is another way but it's a bit drastic and can cause problems. There are several utilities which can remove unused languages from your Mac. For example... they can remove every language you check off leaving only English. However, there are some applications (MS Office for one) which will choke and die unless the other languages are present.
I'm just trying to respond to a previous post about my concern and how his suggestion may not work in my case. But I know there's no easy way to get rid of unuse languages so I guess I'll just stop messing with it
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What chscag said.

I used a couple of those apps that will remove unused languages early on in my Mac switch. They will cause various apps to not work. Highly recommend disregarding them and leaving them alone.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
basecontrol

A friend recommended monolingual and I used it a few weeks ago when I first got my mac, it cleared out a few GBs of free space for me, but that was before I install MS Office, not sure if this app will cause office to die
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Office 2011 should continue to function, however, you might run into a problem when installing updates. Although, I believe you'll be OK since you installed Office after using Monolingual. Just don't run Monolingual again. As a matter of fact, I would uninstall it just to be sure.
QUOTE Thanks
basecontrol

Great, thanks for the reply, I have completely removed monolingual from my mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer software trouble | Hackers and Anti-Bot Software »