Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safari 6.0

Safari 6.0
    New to mac forums. Not too computer savvy. Ever since I updated to Safari 6.0 my back button is gray after clicking on a link. I have to close out the page and start all over. I spent 10 hours downloading Mountain Lion yesterday (we have slow internet) hoping this would help. Still have the problem. One thread said to empty cache which I did. This did not work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Is the link opening the same tab or a new tab? The back button being gray indicates that you have nothing to go back to.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Love my Patriots!! example, reading ESPN and click on a link from another site. Once I have read the link, I can't go back to ESPN. I have to start all over.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    As Raz0rEdge asked, is the page being opened in a new tab or window? If so, this would explain why you can't go back.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Don't know what you mean by tabs and windows. I am clicking on a link and opening a new website. I am not good with the terminology, sorry.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by k2dk View Post
    Love my Patriots!! example, reading ESPN and click on a link from another site. Once I have read the link, I can't go back to ESPN. I have to start all over.
    Pats Rule!

So when you click on the link in ESPN, does it replace the current content you are reading or do you have to switch to another window or tab to read the content of the link you pressed? If the former, then you should be able to use the back button to return to the previous ESPN page, if the latter then that the expected behavior and you should close the tab or window to return to where you were..

Look at the image below which shows two Safari tabs. One titled Apple and the other Mactoids.

--
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Just looked in my Lion dummy book. I think I know what tab vs window is. I believe I am opening a new window. Should I be opening a web page in a tab to avoid this problem? I never had this problem before Safari 6.0.

When I click on the link from ESPN e.g., it replaces the current content. The ESPN page disappears. The back button on the new page is gray, I can't go back and have to close the page and start all over.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Just looked in my Lion dummy book. I think I know what tab vs window is. I believe I am opening a new window. Should I be opening a web page in a tab to avoid this problem? I never had this problem before Safari 6.0.
    No, that won't behave differently.

When I click on the link from ESPN e.g., it replaces the current content. The ESPN page disappears. The back button on the new page is gray, I can't go back and have to close the page and start all over.
    In that case, something is wrong. It should allow you to go back if a new tab or window was not opened. I suppose you'll want instructions like above. I'm not at a Mac, and I don't do images anyway. Two thing to try: a different user account, a different Safari plist file.

Instructions with illustrations, anyone?

Thank you all for your help. I am dumbfounded as to what is causing this. Will be away from my computer until this evening. I'll have my husband take a look at your advice and see if he can fix this problem. So far, he is dumbfounded too. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Specs:
    You might also try Chrome/Firefox/Opera to see if this occurs there as well, isolating the problem just to Safari or a particular website will help get an answer..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

I will try that, thanks.

The same thing happens on Firefox. I can't even do the finger swipe to go back a page. When I closed Firefox it said "you are about to close 2 tabs" so I guess I have tabs open.

Specs:
    OK, so that at least shows same behavior meaning it might be how you are doing things. Do you just click on links or click with CMD button pressed?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

I have always just clicked on links and don't use CMD button. When I am on a website and click on a link the original page closes and I am now on a new page. There is no way to go back. I have to start over. Could it be something in preferences?

Thread Information