New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My Macbook (bought early 2010) won't turn on completely!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CeliaRose

CeliaRose is on a distinguished road

The other night I left my Macbook plugged in to the charger but the laptop open. It is set to go to screen saver mode in fifteen minutes and to sleep in I think 45 minutes or something like that. Last night when I went to use it again, it did nothing. I tried to restart it by holding down the power button to completely turn off, which it did. Then when I tried to turn it back on, it makes the same normal sound it does when it turns on but it is just stuck in the gray loading screen. I've tried restarting it multiple times but it just keeps getting stuck on that gray screen. It's not making any other noise except the normal starting noise so I don't know what is wrong. Any ideas???

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

What version of OSX is on it? Did anything come up on the gray screen or just blank the entire time? Do you hear any other noises (clicking, scraping, grinding)?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
CeliaRose

CeliaRose is on a distinguished road

To be honest I'm not sure which version of OSX is on it. When it gets up to the gray screen it has the dark gray apple symbol and the little circle loading symbol. It doesn't make any noise except for the normal start up sound it makes. No clicking, scraping, or grinding.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Did the system come with any additional boot up discs or thumb drives? (I can't remember when exactly Apple stopped including recovery DVD's with their systems, I could swear it was the 2010 models, but I might be wrong) - if you do have a DVD, put the disc in the drive, power cycle the computer, when the screen is gray (but before the apple logo appears) press the C key to get it to boot to the CDROM and with the OS reinstall disk, use the disk utilities to verify the disk and check/repair permissions and see if that helps.

If it didn't come with a recovery CD/DVD/USB chances are you have at least Lion installed, reboot the system and before the gray apple shows up, press Command + R to get into the Recovery partition - in there you will find Disk Utilities, run it to verify the disk and check/repair permissions and see if it helps.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB security dingle problem | In a real mess: Lion/Snow Leopard »