New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Stuck in Recovery Mode, can't boot into osx, Unable to unmount Bootcamp partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fo0ob

fo0ob is on a distinguished road

I have a 500gb mac drive, with a windows bootcamp partition on it. After using windows for a while, I would always get an error message saying "Macintosh drive may be damaged. Mount anyway? To which I would always click yes.

Today I tried to upgrade to mountain lion. So I booted into lion, ran mountain lion, and after installing and restarting, I was taken to a sort of recovery window, asking me where I wanted to install lion. All I saw were my 650mb recovery drive and my bootcamp drive, both locked. I didn't see my macintosh partition.

So I went into my recovery partition and ran disk utility. What I see in my disk utility from recovery:

>500.11 GB
>Macintosh HD (Greyed out, repair failed)
>Bootcamp (not greyed out)

Macintosh drive is greyed out. Tried verifying/repairing. Couldn't repair. Tried erasing the whole drive (500.11GB). I get "could not unmount drive". I think it is unable to unmount my bootcamp drive?

So I basically cannot boot into osx itself (because I just get to the install osx screen and my macintosh drive, where I want to install osx, isn't even showing up), and I also cannot do anything from my recovery partition. I tried both erase and partition options in disk utility. Right now I am only able to boot into windows which is where I am posting this from. I cannot use a flash drive recovery method either because I can't even run the .dmg on windows. Anyone know how I can restore/erase my drive completely?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
krizal78

krizal78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo0ob View Post
I have a 500gb mac drive, with a windows bootcamp partition on it. After using windows for a while, I would always get an error message saying "Macintosh drive may be damaged. Mount anyway? To which I would always click yes.

Today I tried to upgrade to mountain lion. So I booted into lion, ran mountain lion, and after installing and restarting, I was taken to a sort of recovery window, asking me where I wanted to install lion. All I saw were my 650mb recovery drive and my bootcamp drive, both locked. I didn't see my macintosh partition.

So I went into my recovery partition and ran disk utility. What I see in my disk utility from recovery:

>500.11 GB
>Macintosh HD (Greyed out, repair failed)
>Bootcamp (not greyed out)

Macintosh drive is greyed out. Tried verifying/repairing. Couldn't repair. Tried erasing the whole drive (500.11GB). I get "could not unmount drive". I think it is unable to unmount my bootcamp drive?

So I basically cannot boot into osx itself (because I just get to the install osx screen and my macintosh drive, where I want to install osx, isn't even showing up), and I also cannot do anything from my recovery partition. I tried both erase and partition options in disk utility. Right now I am only able to boot into windows which is where I am posting this from. I cannot use a flash drive recovery method either because I can't even run the .dmg on windows. Anyone know how I can restore/erase my drive completely?

Thanks.
Good Day!

I am having exactly the same problem! I thought my HDD is kaputt...
Pls experts out there... give us a helping hands...

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
fo0ob

Krizal78, I took my laptop to the apple store and the guy said HD was defective. Wouldn't even mount and was unrepairable. SO they are replacing it for free since I am still under warranty
QUOTE Thanks
krizal78

Arghh... Bad for me since my last Time Machine was last year.... No way to retrieve my data back?

Are you able to get your data back? Or you have your data backed up properly?
QUOTE Thanks
fo0ob

Whenever I was in windows, I could still access all of the data on the mac drive somehow. So I was able to back everything up in both windows and osx. Good luck and I hope you are able to retrieve your data.
QUOTE Thanks
krizal78

Ok, lucky for you to have dual boot. I just use parallel desktop to get windows on my mac os.

Its time for me to try those recovery tools...
QUOTE Thanks
krizal78

Wait a minute... Seems like its not your hard drive failure physically, if it does, you will never get to logged in to windows as well... Might be the file system messed up?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mountain Lion Failed Install No recovery | safari saving last opened page »