New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How Can I Port Games From Windows To My MacBook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bgranttech

bgranttech is on a distinguished road

Help Porting Fallout 3 From Windows To Mac Using Wine OR Something Similar

I want to port games such as Fallout 3 from windows over to my MacBook Pro.
I already have Winery and WineBottler and all of that but I just need to know how to make a wrapper for the games. I already have the .EXEs for my games.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Fallout is unlikely to work at all (or at all well) using wine

Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Crossover Games is going to have a good chance of running more games than Wine would..Fallout 3 is listed as either Silver or Gold status depending on who's playing..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bgranttech

With crossover can I just run the games or can I also port them? In other words... make a wrapper like in Wineskin?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can't simply port games across platforms. Developers that do this spend a lot of time and generally have access to resources that we don't. As such, you're not going to have a lot of luck porting games over. The best you can hope for is moderate success with emulation layers.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You are just totally abusing the word "port". The act of porting (either language or OS') involves taking code and translating them to something entirely different. It's like taking a game written for Windows (thus Win32/MFC code with DirectX support) and porting it to Mac (Objective-C, Cocoa, CoreGraphics)..

That is a port in both language and OS.

Things like Wine, CrossOver and so on are providing an emulation layer as Van said..basically they "intercept" the Windows-specific calls from a Windows game and provide a Mac (or Linux) alternative to make things work.

As with anything, there are limitations in what level of functionality can be provided by these alternatives and some games will work really well if they don't have high demands while others will not work at all..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bgranttech

O wow. Yeah I didn't know that much about porting games. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible to disable login screen when waking from sleep? | Change file icons »