New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Questions re: upgrading to Mountain Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

khy127

khy127 is on a distinguished road

I'm currently using OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro, and I'm planning to switch to Mountain Lion when it comes out (finally upgrading haha). So I've got a couple of newbie questions.

1. Where do I get the upgrade?
2. Do I need to re-download all the programs I have, or will it still be there when I'm finished upgrading? Specifically, I run Windows XP on VMware Fusion -- will that be still there when I'm done upgrading or do I need to install that again?
3. Does upgrading mess with keyboard shortcuts or trackpad motions? I'm aware that these are a bit different when you get a new computer with the system, so would it change mine as well?

I know I should be backing-up everything. Anything I else should be aware of when upgrading? It'll be my first time. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Mountain Lion will only be available as a download from the Mac App store. Make sure you have a valid Apple ID registered.

We have no idea what Mountain Lion will or will not do, however, take note that Mountain Lion like Lion will not run any program that has PPC code. Snow Leopard is the last version of OS X that will run PPC programs.
QUOTE Thanks
khy127

khy127 is on a distinguished road

Errr sorry but what are PPC programs?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by khy127 View Post
I'm currently using OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro, and I'm planning to switch to Mountain Lion when it comes out (finally upgrading haha). So I've got a couple of newbie questions.

1. Where do I get the upgrade?
The Mac App Store (right in your Dock)

Quote:
2. Do I need to re-download all the programs I have, or will it still be there when I'm finished upgrading? Specifically, I run Windows XP on VMware Fusion -- will that be still there when I'm done upgrading or do I need to install that again?
Yes, it should be. But you should still do a FULL backup prior to installing. And that goes for any time you make a major change to your machine.

Quote:
3. Does upgrading mess with keyboard shortcuts or trackpad motions? I'm aware that these are a bit different when you get a new computer with the system, so would it change mine as well?
Lion (and likely Mountain Lion) introduces a bunch of new gestures - so yes, it will likely change a bit from what you're used to.

Quote:
I know I should be backing-up everything. Anything I else should be aware of when upgrading? It'll be my first time. Thank you!
It's a good idea to do system maintenance with a tool like Onyx to clear the cruft. I would also recommend getting your apps completely up to date to ensure compatibility. A tool like AppFresh is handy for this purpose.

Also, some people like to do a clean install of the OS, then bring back all of their apps/data/documents, etc with Time Machine after the update. This is the approach I normally take. But you may want to see how it does with a straight upgrade first.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khy127 View Post
Errr sorry but what are PPC programs?

PowerPC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in other words old programs for a old Mac Architecture before Apple put Intel into there machines

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
PowerPC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in other words old programs for a old Mac Architecture before Apple put Intel into there machines
Just to elaborate - prior to 2006, all Macs used the PowerPC processor. Versions of OS X up to 10.6 included an emulation layer called "Rosetta" that allowed older applications to run (Office 2004 is a good example). Since 10.7, Apple is no longer bundling Rosetta, so you may find that some of your old apps will not run if they are PPC-specific.

Chances are you don't have many, but it's an important point nonetheless.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Versions of OS X up to 10.6 included an emulation layer called "Rosetta" that allowed older applications to run (Office 2004 is a good example).
So, when upgrading to Lion (or Mountain Lion) would it be a good idea to upgrade to Office 2011 first? Or will the sequence not matter?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It won't matter because Office 2004 is not going to work either from Lion or ML. All your documents will be preserved so it'll just be a matter of installing Office 2011 to get things going again.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Office 2008 is Intel, is it not? It's Office 2004 that was the last PPC version, correct?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Office 2008 is Intel, is it not? It's Office 2004 that was the last PPC version, correct?
Yes, that's correct. The Office 2008 installer previously had PPC code in it but was updated by Microsoft to be compatible with Lion. So yes, Office 2008 should work in ML just as it does in Lion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« making fonts darker | Yahoo and display on MacBook Pro »