New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Closing files in application.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattmould86

mattmould86 is on a distinguished road

I'm completely new to Mac so apologies if I sound like a confused old luddite.
If I open a file in Textwrangler, then close the program using cmd-Q, then open it again I find that the file opens again too. Each time I open a file it opens every time I open the program. Is there any way of a) closing a file properly and ideally b) stopped it from automatically adding to this list of files to open every time I open the program?

So far my biggest issue has been how difficult it is to actually close a program or file down. Every time I log on every app I've ever used seems to pop up despite not being in the list of programs to run at start up.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmould86 View Post
I'm completely new to Mac so apologies if I sound like a confused old luddite.
If I open a file in Textwrangler, then close the program using cmd-Q, then open it again I find that the file opens again too. Each time I open a file it opens every time I open the program. Is there any way of a) closing a file properly and ideally b) stopped it from automatically adding to this list of files to open every time I open the program?
To fix this, go to System Preferences > General > uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmould86 View Post
So far my biggest issue has been how difficult it is to actually close a program or file down. Every time I log on every app I've ever used seems to pop up despite not being in the list of programs to run at start up.
To fix this, uncheck the "Reopen windows when logging back in" checkbox when you shut down.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

You are most likely using Lion for your OS and as such re-opening all of your applications is one of the features of Lion on each startup. If you close all your apps properly before shutting down, it should't be reopening them for you. If it is, check out System Preferences->Accounts->Login Items and see what is being opened for you. There is also an checkbox when you shutdown/restart the machine to tell Lion not to re-open your applications.

As far as as the applications themselves go, if you open a file in TextWrangler, then you can most likely hit CMD+W to close the file. With TextWrangler as your active application look at the top bar and click on File or whatever the first option is and you will see the option there. You could also just close the TextWrangler window which will close the file, but then you have to hit the TextWrangler icon in the Dock and then hit CMD+Q to actually quit the window..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
mattmould86

mattmould86 is on a distinguished road

Thank you, much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft office 2008 for MB pro | Help with Office 2008 »