New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! Cannot install Snow Leopard on refurbed MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thedollarstore

thedollarstore is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I was hoping someone out there can help me with this. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro from an auction site. The best way to describe the condition is refurbished. They wipe the hard drives before shipping them out. I can't figure out how to install Snow Leopard, which I ordered from the Apple Store, so the problem really shouldn't be the disk. When I turn on the machine, I insert the disk and power down. I turn the power back on while holding the "C" button and that doesn't do anything. If I hold down the "Option" key, I get the option to install from the disk, but it doesn't actually do anything. I hear the disk spin around for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it stops. Is there a different way to install the OS on a hard drive that was wiped?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Sounds like a bad or dirty Optical Drive. Try cleaning the OS disk and give the Optical Drive a shot of canned air.
If that doesn't work you need to see about returning your MBP or using an external optical drive.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedollarstore View Post
Hi there, I was hoping someone out there can help me with this. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro from an auction site. The best way to describe the condition is refurbished. They wipe the hard drives before shipping them out. I can't figure out how to install Snow Leopard, which I ordered from the Apple Store, so the problem really shouldn't be the disk. When I turn on the machine, I insert the disk and power down. I turn the power back on while holding the "C" button and that doesn't do anything. If I hold down the "Option" key, I get the option to install from the disk, but it doesn't actually do anything. I hear the disk spin around for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it stops. Is there a different way to install the OS on a hard drive that was wiped?
You didn't tell us what model MBP you have. If it's a newer model...it may not be capable of running Snow Leopard. If it's an older model...we need to know which model it is...to verify it can run SL.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You didn't tell us what model MBP you have. If it's a newer model...it may not be capable of running Snow Leopard. If it's an older model...we need to know which model it is...to verify it can run SL.

- Nick
Good point on Lion . . . I was assuming an older MBP which may not be the case.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Good point on Lion . . . I was assuming an older MBP which may not be the case.
I'm thinking that it's probably an older MBP as well...so you're assumption is probably right.

As recent as the "Early 2011" MBP models can run SL. I just wanted to be 100% sure we weren't dealing with a really recent MBP.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
thedollarstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm thinking that it's probably an older MBP as well...so you're assumption is probably right.

As recent as the "Early 2011" MBP models can run SL. I just wanted to be 100% sure we weren't dealing with a really recent MBP.

- Nick
Hi everyone. I really appreciate the quick responses!

Here was the description of it when I purchased it:

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" Laptop i7 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB DVDRW WiFi

When I spoke to an Apple support rep (1-800-MY-APPLE), I believe he said it was around 2010. On two different occasions, I was told that I could install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion if I wanted to.

I understand that I can also order the Lion thumb drive; would this be more likely to work? Also, if this MBP cannot install Snow Leopard due to system requirements, what do you think is the likelihood of being able to return SL since I was told that I could use it? I realize this would be between Apple and myself, but just wanted to see if you guys had gone through or heard of experiences like this.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

That should be a 2010 dual core i7, so Snow Leopard will install with no problem.

I'm still thinking your Optical Drive is gummed up. Definitely you could go straight to Lion via USB if you wished.

QUOTE Thanks
thedollarstore

Hello everyone. I think I have the problem solved, and wanted to give you guys the information too, in case you come across this again. I used canned air on the optical drive and still no results. Then I looked through Apple's support site and learned about retail versions of SL versus a restore disk, and I found out about build numbers. Since the retail version of Snow Leopard is a different build than the build that was pre-installed when this MBP was new, this could explain the reason as to why I have not been successful so far. From what I saw, the mid-2010 models seem to have this issue come up more frequently than other models. I just ordered the original install disk with the correct build number and will attempt when it comes in. I will let you guys know what I find. I would welcome any feedback on this. Here the site was looking at; the first shows builds for the hardware, the second shows the builds for the different types of software

Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers
(My MBP is the 11th entry listed under MacBook Pro, about halfway down the page.)

Finding your Mac OS X version and build information
QUOTE Thanks
thedollarstore

Quote:
That should be a 2010 dual core i7, so Snow Leopard will install with no problem.

I'm still thinking your Optical Drive is gummed up. Definitely you could go straight to Lion via USB if you wished.
Hello,

I replied to this last night, and it said it needed to be approved by a moderator; I do not see it so I am posting again.

What I have found out yesterday is that the build number of the retail version of SL is a different build than the original install that came with the MBP. Hence, the SL that I bought would not work. I ordered a replacement install disk last night and am waiting for it to come in. I'll post the results on here. Do you guys think this is worth a shot?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Still think you may have hardware problems (most likely Optical Drive). But, as you suggest, worth a shot to try a different OS Disk. Keep us posted.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That might indeed be the problem. I was wondering though if perhaps when they wiped the drive they never formatted it properly. In other words for all practical purposes the installer does not know a drive is there. If that's the case you may be able to run Disk Utility anne format the drive properly.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
That might indeed be the problem. I was wondering though if perhaps when they wiped the drive they never formatted it properly. In other words for all practical purposes the installer does not know a drive is there. If that's the case you may be able to run Disk Utility anne format the drive properly.
That could well be the case; the wording in the first post lead me to believe the Optical drive was not reading the OS disk correctly. But, still could be not properly formatted HD and even if the Optical drive started working wouldnt be able to install.

So, good suggestion to check

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
That could well be the case; the wording in the first post lead me to believe the Optical drive was not reading the OS disk correctly. But, still could be not properly formatted HD and even if the Optical drive started working wouldnt be able to install.

So, good suggestion to check
It's possible that the OP is patient and does not mind waiting to get that machine up and running. I'm usually not that patient so this occurred to me as possible. Besides it kills a little time while waiting. lol

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedollarstore View Post
Then I looked through Apple's support site and learned about retail versions of SL versus a restore disk, and I found out about build numbers. Since the retail version of Snow Leopard is a different build than the build that was pre-installed when this MBP was new, this could explain the reason as to why I have not been successful so far.
According to Everymac.com, that model MBP came with 10.6.3 pre-installed. If the retail copy of Snow Leopard that you have is older, then it definitely won't install because it would be lacking the hardware drivers. A retail copy that has 10.6.3 or later (I think Apple updates the retail copies over time… not 100% sure though) should install.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
According to Everymac.com, that model MBP came with 10.6.3 pre-installed. If the retail copy of Snow Leopard that you have is older, then it definitely won't install because it would be lacking the hardware drivers. A retail copy that has 10.6.3 or later (I think Apple updates the retail copies over time… not 100% sure though) should install.
I hear what you are saying, but unless there was an actual hardware change in between the older OS version should still install . . . Or am I missing something.

What about Mac Pros before the latest mini-refresh? They were shipping with Lion since that was the latest OS, but I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Snow Leopard would install and run on them just fine.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Size of Toobars in Lion | Trying to disable Internet through Ethernet »