New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Access privileges denied to my own external hard drive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ml311

ml311 is on a distinguished road

I recently installed a new hard drive into a MacBook Pro. I then transferred the data from a smaller Mac Mini hard drive to the new hard drive. My Time Machine backups and my iTunes library location are on an external drive (The same external drive). When syncing my iPhone to the Time Machine backups external drive, I often, but not always, receive the following error: "Attempting to copy to the disk "Time Machine backups" failed. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation." I'm running OS 10.7.4. How can I fix this? Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Control click on the files and 'Get Info '. In the lower left corner of the window is the Access and Permissions. Click on the lock to enable changes.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
ml311

ml311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Control click on the files and 'Get Info '. In the lower left corner of the window is the Access and Permissions. Click on the lock to enable changes.

Oh, thank you for that little tidbit. I didn't know about that one. I'm still having trouble syncing voice memos from the iPhone to iTunes, getting the same error. Before each attempt to sync, I trim the memo a sec or two, to make it look like a new memo, and that does make itunes attempt to sync the memo to it's library, but I still get the same error as before. I was able to adjust Access and Permissions for the hard drive itself, but that didn't fix it. I know you said control click the file, but the file is still on the phone. What do you suggest?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I suspect the permissions on some of your iTunes folders/files are still messed up or the files potentially locked. You may try going on an expedition looking for the culprit.
Another thing to try is a shareware program called Unlockr, which is drag and drop. You literally drag the files/folders onto the Unlockr Icon and it does its work.

Last, and maybe the best, is I remember a post by TattooedMac from a year or so ago where he ran into problems like this specific to iTunes and I believe it was a plist file issue (though I may be remembering wrong). I'll try to find it and if I do will post a link. Otherwise do a thread search for it.

EDIT: Found the post. Not sure if it will help, but give it a read.
Have no permissions in iTunes to dl from the store !!!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook slow | Mountain Lion is the last straw. »