New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - HELP! Safari can't connet to the server.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Havenger

I can see my LAN just fine. Connect to other computers, print, et. But I cannot connect to the internet in any way. I've tried 2 operating systems, three browsers and evey diagnostic and setup helper I have. Any ideas?

I'v tried the following.

1. 2 different systems - Erased and install new system 10.3 and then 10.4
2. 2 different cables.
3. 2 different ports in my building.
4. 4 browsers - Safari 2.0, 2.02, IE, Netscape
5. Network Diagnostic application says my internet is working properly
6. I've matched every setting to another similar computer I have and it connects fine.

Did apple make a non-internet-connecting model I'm not aware of?
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

use /Applications/Network Utility to ping something external like you isp's dns servers. if you can't i'd guess your gateway is not properly configured, if you can ping them try to ping a url like www.google.com if you can't then i'd guess your dns is not properly configured. All browsers use the settings in the Network Sys Pref. Try rebooting your router and modem if all is configued correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
Havenger

All are computers are set up using the DHCP setting. This automatically puts in IP, Subnet and Router but the DNS servers field is empty. How do I then properly configure my DNS? I tried to PING www.google.com like you mentioned and it failed. Im on the internet in the same room typing this, so could it really be our router? I'm so frustrated I've never had this sort of trouble before. Thanks for you help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
use /Applications/Network Utility to ping something external like you isp's dns servers. if you can't i'd guess your gateway is not properly configured, if you can ping them try to ping a url like www.google.com if you can't then i'd guess your dns is not properly configured. All browsers use the settings in the Network Sys Pref. Try rebooting your router and modem if all is configued correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Which Mac is this? What IP is the router giving your Mac? What is the IP address under networking?
QUOTE Thanks
Havenger

1. PowerPC G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

2. 192.168.1.46

3. I assume you mean the Network Utility. 144.3.8.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Which Mac is this? What IP is the router giving your Mac? What is the IP address under networking?
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Your DNS settings should be in your router config.

If you can ping 66.102.7.147 (google) you are getting to the internet. If you can't then your internet connection is wonky. Call your ISP.

DSL? Cable? Try going from modem to mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tiger OS Machine cannot connect to Windows Server? | Please help..booting issues... »