New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.5.8 update to 10.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Realest99

Realest99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

Hi I currently have 10.5.8 but would like to update to 10.6 since I need to for Adobe CS6. What's the best way to update? And how much would it cost. Thanks mac friends.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You go to an Apple dealer and buy a copy of Snow Leopard. It costs $30. Your status says you're in San Francisco, as I recall there are Apple Stores on (seemingly) every other block there.

Be sure to CHECK FIRST that your machine meets the specifications for Snow Leopard. The one you list in your specs does.

Make sure you make a backup (using Time Machine or whatever you prefer) before installing Snow Leopard as a precaution. It will probably go very smoothly, but there's no point in putting data at risk.
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You go to an Apple dealer and buy a copy of Snow Leopard. It costs $30. Your status says you're in San Francisco, as I recall there are Apple Stores on (seemingly) every other block there.

Be sure to CHECK FIRST that your machine meets the specifications for Snow Leopard. The one you list in your specs does.

Make sure you make a backup (using Time Machine or whatever you prefer) before installing Snow Leopard as a precaution. It will probably go very smoothly, but there's no point in putting data at risk.
Thanks. The upgrade might erase the HD? Back to its original specs? Anyone have an issue with this?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you install the new OS without choosing the Erase (reformat) option then you will not overwrite your Data.

But . . . things happen and it is always a good idea to have a backup, especially when you are doing and upgrade.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Reflex

Reflex is on a distinguished road

I just upgraded. Snow Leopard is the last OS that you actually need the physical disk to install. I then upgraded to Lion an hour later just because my Java still wasn't working. Working fine on Lion and it seems like a beautiful OS. My computer is like a new machine!
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
I just upgraded. Snow Leopard is the last OS that you actually need the physical disk to install. I then upgraded to Lion an hour later just because my Java still wasn't working. Working fine on Lion and it seems like a beautiful OS. My computer is like a new machine!
Does anyone know if you can upgrade from Snow Leopard straight to Mountain Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realest99 View Post
Does anyone know if you can upgrade from Snow Leopard straight to Mountain Lion?
Yes you can, but need to check the specs to see if your MacBook is supported. I believe the cut is based on Graphics capability.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError | Mail »