Exclamation Battery Life on Macbook Pro very low but CPU is normal.
    I got a macbook pro 15" mid 2010 and I have noticed in the past few months that my battery life is way low, never charging to more than about 3 hours of life. I had this issue last year and turned out I had a document in my print cue the was taking up a ton of CPU but this time I have checked the CPU and it is fine, i'm only using 3%. I have all programs ended except safari, screen brightness and keyboard lights way down. I just want my computer back to its original 7-8 hour battery life. Is that possible? Do I need a new battery?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by m0408953 View Post
    I just want my computer back to its original 7-8 hour battery life. Is that possible? Do I need a new battery?
    I would love to be 25 years-old again...but that's just not going to happen.

Laptop batteries are the same way. From the very first time you turn your laptop on...the battery begins is slow degradation in battery life. So getting back to the computers original 7-8 hours of total runtime on a full charge (when you're currently only getting 3 hours)...probably isn't going to happen.

But anyway...one place to start is telling us how many battery charge/discharge cycles this computer has. Go to:

- Apple Menu
    - About this Mac
    - Click on the "More Info" button
    - click on "Power" in the next window
    - look for the heading "Battery Information"
    - tell us the "Cycle Count" and "Condition"

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
    I just want my computer back to its original 7-8 hour battery life. Is that possible? Do I need a new battery?
    No that is not possible. Battery life will get lower and will not get back to the original state of 7-8 hours when you first got the laptop. find out the health battery of your laptop. Also, to increase battery life. Do the battery cycle at least every 3 months.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    You can download Coconut Battery to help test the battery and see what's up. Please do let us know the results of that, it will be super helpful in figuring out what the problem is.

Your battery may be two years old but there is NO WAY it should be down to half of its original battery life, I don't know why the guys above are suggesting this. That's *definitely* abnormal unless you've been unusually hard on the battery (excessive number of charging cycles, or something else going on).

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I would love to be 25 years-old again...but that's just not going to happen.
    Ha!

The following is the information that came up regarding my battery:
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 2332
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4906
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 454
    Condition: Service Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 1984
    Voltage (mV): 12475

According to the Condition, my battery is in need of Service? Where do I go from here? I'm amazed it only took a few years to get to this point.

-Annie

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    According to the Condition, my battery is in need of Service? Where do I go from here? I'm amazed it only took a few years to get to this point.
    It simply means you need a new battery. Since your battery is the non-user serviceable unit, it means that it should be changed out by Apple. Is your machine covered under Apple Care? Also, that battery is supposed to be able to go 1000 cycles or there about before expiring. Apple might replace it for free, so be sure to contact them.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5

-Annie
    Definitely agree with "chscag". With 454 cycles on a 1000 cycle battery...you shouldn't be getting the "battery needs service" message.

Get Apple to check it out.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I am under Apple Care and will definitely look into bringing my computer in this month.

Thank you to everyone, you guys have been a great help!

Thread Information