New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Home folder not viewable in target mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lasteph

Lasteph is on a distinguished road

Hello all
We recently had someone drop their powerbook and break the screen
I am trying to move all of their stuff to a new machine
When I boot it into target mode, the home folder on the old machine (target mode) shows up as completely empty. However if you use quick look or get info, the home folder shows up as containing 15Gb of data
Is it possible that these files are merely hidden
The old machine was file vaulted so could this be causing the problem
If we try to attach another screen we get only the first leopard screen and nothing else ie no icons or toolbar - just a completely blank desktop and nothing else
If it is possible the files are hidden how can I get them to show up when the machine in target mode
The target machine is a macbook pro running leopard
Thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasteph View Post
The old machine was file vaulted so could this be causing the problem
That is the problem.

Quote:
If it is possible the files are hidden how can I get them to show up when the machine in target mode
You would use system preferences to turn OFF FileVault. You'll need the FileVault master password for that. If the owner doesn't know it, you can save yourself a lot of time and just give up at that point -- there's nothing to be done from there.
QUOTE Thanks
Lasteph

Hello
Thanks for that reply
How can I access system preferences in the target machine thru another machine in target mode.
If I can do that then I can see if the original machine holder can actually remember the file vault password
Is it the fact it is file vaulted like to be causing the files not to show up
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasteph View Post
Hello
Thanks for that reply
How can I access system preferences in the target machine thru another machine in target mode.
If I can do that then I can see if the original machine holder can actually remember the file vault password
Is it the fact it is file vaulted like to be causing the files not to show up
You can't..

I can't remember if you could in Leopard but you can reset the file vault password with you apple ID in .6 and .7.

I'd try mounting the volume in single user mode and see if you can access the files there.

It's also possible that the drop damaged the HDD

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you have access to a machine that is about the same vintage as the one that is messed up try taking the external drive from the "bad" Mac and using it to boot the good Mac. This may not work depending upon the configuration differences of the two machines.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lasteph

Hi
Slydudes idea of using the broken mac worked.
I managed to boot up a mac mini with the same chip and OS with the broken machine
This then allowed us to login normally and recover everything
Thanks very much
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Glad you were able to recover everything. I keep an external hard drive dock around for those and similar situations.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My email (mail) goes out as "NO Sender" | Date input too fast »