New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Learning to Service Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tombombodil

tombombodil is on a distinguished road

Ok so I have been working with PC's for years and have a vast repository of knowledge in regards to fixing upgrading and maintaining them, but have rarely worked with Macs. Just recently a friend of mine said his iMac was running so slow if was basically unusable. I said that I'd never really worked with macs but I'd take a look at it as the most basic problems are common to all OS's. I discovered and fixed a couple big problems, like an overfull hard drive and only 1GB of RAM in a 3 year old machine running modern applications.

However it's still running slower than before and while I know that the HFS filing system doesn't need regular defragmentation, I have heard from several credible and independent sources that some systems, like this one that have 200GB+ of photos and videos that have been haphazardly saved over the past 3 years, it could benefit from running a dedicated third party application.

So I downloaded Disc Warrior and had it just Analyze the main partition. the result was a solid block of Red. So does this mean that I should make a complete back up and then run it? Or does the program just not know how to interpret the filing system?

Please respond as I would like to get this back to my friend as soon as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

How much free space is there on that mac now and do you have a spare usb external drive to create a cloned drive back-up?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
tombombodil

There is 50GB free of 200GB, and I have a 1TB external that has a full back up on it.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Did you try to run Onyx and Monolingual ?
If you are really not familiar with OS X us the default settings .
Both are free app .
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

A full back-up, did you use carbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable full clone?

And what version of OSX is it running

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
tombombodil

It's running a fully updated version of Snow Leopard, and yes it is a full bootable backup.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My wife is threatening to divorce me! | conveting MP3 files to WMA »