New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

cant load osx on 27' imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dirtybird

Dirtybird is on a distinguished road

My partner came across a fairly new imac without an internal hd. So ive been trying to help him get it up and going. Installed a seagate sata 1.0 tb, no luck. Read up about the heat sensors and what not. Shorted out the heat sensor, fans ran rapidly, but hd didnt work using osx install discs. So i had an old 24' imac with a 250 gb. seagate laying around (motherboard went bad) that had 10.5.7 leopard installed on it. The 27' imac recognized it when holding down option, but wouldnt boot up from it. install discs would boot up,and give me the options (chose english) waited for it to install, like it said it was doing, then it came up as "osx cannot be installed on this computer" I was able to go to disk utility and repair disk, tried erasing hd, starting fresh, but still nothing. Then i booted up in safemode and it gave me alot of details that were foreign to me. If you havent already noticed, im still sort of a noob....
imac intel core i5
2.8 ghz
5 gb memory
4 cores
If you would like to see the details from the safeboot....can i send a pic? or i will write them out if need be. let me know if you need anything else on this imac...would really like to get this unit up and going. thanks 4 all the help on this post and all the posts i read whenever i struggle..It really is appreciated when some1 takes the time in responding on an issue you just cant conquer on your own...thanks again, The Dirtybird
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If this is a 2011 or newer 27" iMac...yes...there are some fairly well known difficulties with replacing the hard drive...give this a read:

Difficulties abound when upgrading a 2011 iMac's hard drive | Macworld

Basically...if I was someone purchasing once of these newer iMacs...I would NOT buy it if the original HD was removed (unless it was busted).

Many people remove HD's from used computers when they sell them...simply because they are too lazy to transfer their files to another HD...or are uninformed as to how to properly & securely erase an HD before sale.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Dirtybird

hey nick, thanks. that gave me a lil more input on the whole subject but not really the answer i was looking for. can i buy a heat sensor that attaches to my seagate 1.0 tb hd that will make this 27' inch imac run?
QUOTE Thanks
Dirtybird

please ? can anyone help me with this?
QUOTE Thanks
BSD Meister

BSD Meister is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.

The first thing you need to do is find out if the unit is really working properly. I would put the drive that you want to use in place and then, if possible, boot it from an external FireWire or USB drive. If it boots, check the diagnostics as follows:

1. Click on the Apple icon in the upper left extreme corner
2. When the dialog comes down, click on "About this Mac"
3. A dialog will appear in the middle of the screen, click on the button at the bottom of the screen that says "More Info..."
4. Under "Hardware" you should see a listing for "Diagnostics" (You may need to click on the triangle to the left of "Hardware" to expand the list"
5. Click on "Diagnostics" It should say it passed.
6. Assuming it passes diagnostics, check the column on the left that says "Serial ATA". A wheel should spin and then the name of the controller should appear followed by the drive model.

If the unit can't boot from an external drive, the logic board is probably bad.
If the unit doesn't report a Serial ATA controller, then the logic board IS bad.
If it sees the HD and reports it correctly then the system is PROBABLY ok.

One important note: When trying to start from start up disks, make sure they're compatible (as in not too early) for the system you're working on. For example, Leopard might be too early for the system you're working on. Apple has scripts in its software installers that check for hardware by type, model number, etc. etc. and if the model you have is newer than the installation software, it won't be recognized and you'll get the "can't be installed on this system" stuff...that doesn't mean it won't work, it just means the installer can't identify the system.

When you did the safeboot, did it boot fully up, and what OS versions are we talking about?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What is it exactly that you need help with? From your first post, I can see that you've got several problems. You can not install Leopard on that machine. And since you didn't tell us the year and model, I have to guess that maybe you can install Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8. If it's a 2011 model, you can only install Lion OS X 10.7.4. That's the first problem.....

Second problem is if it's a late model iMac, it uses a proprietary hard drive. Actually it's a Seagate Barracuda with special firmware. There are work arounds and if you read that article Nick linked you to, you know what they are.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

chscag is 100% correct on both counts.

Can you please give us the specs so we can determine the model? There should be a label on the underside of the base with the basic specs and model ID.

That other issue OWC can help with, but the very fact the fans run full blast shows me it a newer iMac with Proprietary hard drive with special firmware and 8-Pin power connector..
QUOTE Thanks
BSD Meister

Mac Specs: Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.

Assuming the specs he provided in his initial post are correct, the model has to be a 27" mid 2010 iMac. That's the only one out of the 27" models that had a 2.8GHz Core i5 processor. It should be model number MC511LL/A.

If he was using Leopard install disks on the unit, regardless of whether the disk was bad or not, it would still fail to install because the system wouldn't be recognized by the install disks. Install disks have to be either 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or 10.7 (Lion).

I would suspect he was able to get the unit to boot in safe mode because it's using a basic kernel with limited extensions.

Once the startup disk issue is resolved I'd verify that the unit is working properly at all. As mentioned before by pigoo3, some people pull the drives out because they're too lazy to reformat them, but taking them out isn't an easy task. Some government agencies and companies REQUIRE drive removal. In government agencies they may be storing classified data or data that shouldn't be publicly available (like IRS info) and in the case of businesses like banks and financial institutions, they have to remove them for liability reasons.

Last but not least, some people pull the drive out because there's something wrong with the unit, which is why I would test it. In fact I would test it with as little re-assembled as possible because you don't want to fully re-assemble the unit only to find there's a logic board glitch of some sort.
QUOTE Thanks
Dirtybird

i have 10.6 snow leopard, but when i boot holding down "c" key, all it does is show me the grey screen with the apple logo. im assuming the unit is fine, but maybe i need a newer osx disc?
QUOTE Thanks
Dirtybird

ok, i got it to boot up, but when i entered "english" it said it was installing, then "mac osx cannot be installed on this computer" ..........please help. Went to system profiler and under diagnostics said it had passed.
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

white or grey Snow Leopard discs?

If grey they are machine specific, if white it's retail and posibily too old.

Spend $70 at the Apple store and get a Lion USB..

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Germany_chris is absolutely correct. By machine specific he mean that you can't load SnowLeopard on a iMac if you use MBP grey disks.

Ill have a stab at this.
But doing some digging, i see you said you have a HD from a OLD 24" iMac with 10.5.7 on it. From having a stab at this if that HD is from that era 2007-8ish then you will have no hope of installing anything other than 10.5 onto it. So in conclusion and if it is still the 24"HD you are trying to get up and going, ill reckon 10.5 Leopard will be the best OS you can load onto it. Try and find some BLACK Leopard Disks on ebay. They don't go cheap either as they are a rare commodity.

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
BSD Meister

There are a couple of possible problems (many, actually):

1. Like Germany_chris stated, what type of install disks are they? Are these general installation disks, or are they the type that came with another system? If they came with another system (like your old iMac) they probably won't work. The installer not only looks for items it's unfamiliar with, but install disks that come with specific systems ( a Mac Mini or an ealier iMac for example) will actually be coded to work only on that type or a family of similar systems. This is done to prevent OS bootlegging. Most device specific install disks are grey, but they aren't always. I had an Intel Mac Mini that came with grey install disks to install Tiger and Leopard upgrade disks that looked almost exactly like the general installation disks. Leopard likely won't install on that system since Snow Leopard was released in 2009 and your system is 2010.

2. Do you have access to a bootable USB or FireWire drive that you can install the OS onto with another machine. Anything with an up to date Snow Leopard installation could work. With FireWire you may need to get a 400/800M adapter depending on the types of ports you have on the external drive (your system has FireWire 800). I still think the number one thing you should do is try to boot the unit off an external drive to see if it's even working. If you know someone that has another unit with a FireWire port and Snow Leopard installed, you could put that unit into target disk mode (by holding down the "T" key when starting up) and use that as the bootable drive. The idea here is to make sure your system is even working.

I hate to say it, and you shouldn't worry about this without confirmation, but we've seen a lot of these units that people pick up on auction sites that aren't working, people take out what they can or what they need, and then claim they're working and sell them as-is. When the buyer installs a drive and it doesn't work, the seller claims it was working right and that the buyer broke it. Rule number one of anyone that buys a unit without a drive in it should be to boot if off an external drive with a compatible operating system to see if the unit even operates before attempting to install a hard drive. If there's damage to the bus, bad connectors, etc, it can still pass diagnostics. Diagnostics usually only test control circuitry. At this very moment I have an old PowerBook sitting about 3 feet from me with a cracked trace to the connector to one of the USB ports on the logic board, yet it passes diagnostics.

Just my two cents…good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
But doing some digging, i see you said you have a HD from a OLD 24" iMac with 10.5.7 on it. From having a stab at this if that HD is from that era 2007-8ish then you will have no hope of installing anything other than 10.5 onto it. So in conclusion and if it is still the 24"HD you are trying to get up and going, ill reckon 10.5 Leopard will be the best OS you can load onto it. Try and find some BLACK Leopard Disks on ebay. They don't go cheap either as they are a rare commodity.

HTH

Cheers
I am confused. A HD is a Hard Drive. Why would a Hard Drive from a 2007 24" iMac in a newer Mac not load Lion? The drive has nothing do with what OS will load or not load. That 24" iMac would run Lion just fine but we are talking hard drives here, as long as the drive has a fresh GUID partition, Lion will install just fine as well as SL. 10.5 will not even run on that newer iMac.

Sorry, Maybe I am reading your post wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
BSD Meister

I think TatooedMac is thinking about the original iMac the OP said he got the drive from. This is turning into a long post. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Leopard might, **MIGHT** run on that system, but not if it's installed directly. I don't know if I'd trust it to be reliable though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partition problem | Macbook 2009 LOADS of beach balls super slow to load etc. »