New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

can't see my card reader

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

icingalways

icingalways is on a distinguished road

Hi All i am new to iMac after always having windows ... It has confused me so much and in turmoil ... I am still finding out little bits, but have taken photos of my kids and put card reader in slot BUT its not showing that i put card in neither can i view my photos ... Anyone know how to use the card reader and where to locate the card reader Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Which iMac do you have - year and model? Also, what kind of card reader are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
icingalways

icingalways is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Which iMac do you have - year and model? Also, what kind of card reader are you using?
Hi I am using iMac 21.5 and card reader is Sandisk 4gb I have looked through everything on here but can't find anywhere that tells me where the card is to view photos ... I am a novice with iMac as i have always had windows
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a late model 21.5 iMac, it should have a built in SD card reader just below the optical drive on the right side. After the card is inserted it should mount on the desktop just like a hard drive. If you have photos on the card, iPhoto will open and offer to import them into its library.
QUOTE Thanks
palmeira

palmeira is on a distinguished road

I have a 21 inch imac, OS X 10.6.8 without an inbuilt card reader.

I recently purchased a Kingston MobileLite G2 card reader which, according to the manufacturer, should work on a Mac computer OS X v. 10.3+ However, although the card reader is visible on a PC, it is entirely invisible on my mac.

It does not show up on my desktop, disk utility. I have reset the SMC but it still remains invisible. (A card is installed!)
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Do you happen to have another cable that you could try? Also, are you going directly into the iMac (via USB, I assume) or are you using a USB hub?
QUOTE Thanks
palmeira

Thank you for your assistance.

The card reader is inserted directly into the imac via a USB port - I have tried all the USB ports.

I have also tried inserting it using a USB cable, the one supplied with the Kingston card reader and two other spare USB cables - still absolutely nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Card readers are unpredictable. I've had some that work and others that won't work at all. Get a refund on that card reader and buy a different brand. If your USB ports are OK and the SD card is not damaged, then it has to be the reader. By the way, a card reader will show up on a PC without a card inserted but not on a Mac. The card has to be inserted. Again, if the SD card is OK and can be read on the PC, that leaves the reader. It's probably not compatible with your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have tried 2 different USB card readers here and they have always worked from 10.4 on my old iMac till now with 10.8.5. The main one i use is a SanDisk and it's never had issues with any Mac I have used it with.

I do know of a friend who bought the Kingston and has a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard and it works great he says. Will do some research on that model and get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
palmeira

Many thanks- all help/suggestions are much appreciated. I have emailed Kingston, but so far the only suggestions made by the company were: insert a card bfore use and to see if the card reader worked in Windows - had already tried both, so no help from the company...
QUOTE Thanks
palmeira

Final update:
Kingston technical people emailed again this morning, the writer only said two things, namely:
could I let him know my mac's OS version, followed by a suggestion that I should request a full refund from the seller.

An unsatisfactory little saga ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo Attachments | Shared Drive is Saving Other User Folder Settings »