grey screen on start up after upgrade failed
    Hi all

New to the forum as its the first time i've had a mac!!

Generally use a pc but decided to use a mac for my music and browsing after several recommendations (and crashing pc's)

Got hold of a G4 from work and just tried doing a software upgrade. Installed everything ok but when doing the OS X upgrade it got 10% into "writing files" and crashed. Left it alone and it eventually came up with a fail notice and said it needed to be restarted.
    Now it just comes up with a grey screen telling me i need to re start (in 4 languages) but does the same everytime I re start.

I don't have any discs and aren't particularly familiar with macs as yet so any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Tets

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    What you're seeing is known as a 'kernel panic' (or KP for short). It's roughly analogous to a "blue screen of death" on Windows and usually occurs when there is a hardware problem or the OS install is damaged (which seems likely here - but was probably caused by the former).

It's kind of hard to advise you from here because several Mac models carried the designation of "G4". We need to know a bit more about the machine - in particular, CPU speed, memory, model (PowerBook, PowerMac, Mac Mini, iMac, etc).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Hi there

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry other than telling you its a powermac i don't know very much else. Prior to me having it, it was used by our reprographics department at work so it will be a high spec machine (in it's day).

I've just re started it but this time it went grey but then loaded the widgets and normal background but i have no use of the mouse as if it has crashed.

I must add, I was using it perfectly until this upgrade failed which appears to have caused the problem.

Thanks again
    Tets

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    So, which update did you install exactly?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

I clicked the software upgrades and it had a list of available upgrades including airport software and a few others which all installed correctly and the one at the bottom of the list was the OS X upgrade which was the one that failed whilst "writing"

forgive me for my ignorance but i am fairly new to macs and thanks again for any assistance

cheers
    Tets

Thread Information