New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Gray Screen: I have tried it all...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sinkhole68

sinkhole68 is on a distinguished road

So all was well, then my Macbook Pro froze. I hold down power, I get the gray screen. Try everything -- PRAM, Option, C, Command S, Option R, Replaced my hard drive, RAM, Tried booting from CD, USB, whatever...

I've done it all. Is there anything I'm missing? At one point in the ordeal I actually was able to see my mac backup through my firewire, but it kind of froze up there and I haven't been able to get it to notice my mac backup file since (Firewire or USB).

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer me.

Specs: 17" Macbook Pro model A1229, Ran 10.7.4

Regards,
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

Logic Board? Throw it away?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

What OS are you running? If you have Lion, you can restart and hold Command+R to enter recovery.

Unrelated thought, have you considered connecting to an external tv or monitor to see if it's a display issue?

Just spitballing here...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

It was on 10.7.4. I tried Command+R and it didn't do anything... The monitor is fine. I have been able to get a cursor to show up, I've been able to get a "Recovery HD" to show up via USB, and one time I was able to get to disk utility from my mac backup. Now I get no where with my mac backup via firewire or usb.

Thanks for the help though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
What OS are you running? If you have Lion, you can restart and hold Command+R to enter recovery.

Unrelated thought, have you considered connecting to an external tv or monitor to see if it's a display issue?

Just spitballing here...
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkhole68 View Post
I've done it all. Is there anything I'm missing?
Apparently not. "All" is pretty much it.
Oh wait; you didn't mention Safe Mode.
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

I tried Safe Mode -- nothing happens.
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

This is wild... So I go buy a SATA/USB connector hookup old hard drive. By chance (which I can't replicate again), it boots that hard drive. I had all my computer back -- everything. It was running very slow, but it was completely normal.

Would a computer work like that if the logic board were broke? Might it be the hard drive cable? Both hard drives function perfectly by the way. Alright whiz-kids... Have at it. This seems like a challenge for some of you all...

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

OK -- I'm able to replicate the boot up to my SATA/USB old hard drive. If I hook up the new or old hard drive internally it doesn't work. What does this mean?

I'm editing this from the messed up computer that is functioning off of a SATA/USB cord. Would this mean it's the harddrive cable and not logic board? When I plugged in the hard drive with the computer on and functioning (stupid I know, but I'm desperate) I heard it spin. If that means anything to you either.

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Let me understand you correctly. Are you putting in the same drive that works in the USB Enclosure Internally into the MPB and you get a white screen, but the same Hard Drive in that enclosure boots up fine?

If that is the case, it's either the internal SATA cable or the SATA controller.
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

Yes -- nothing works internally, but both work externally. How do I test if it's controller -v- cable? Do they sale as a package?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The SATA controller is a Chip (might be in the Intel Southbridge) so if it's that, nothing you can do. The Cable you will have to purchase.

Does the cable look intact? Could you take a pic of the Inside of the MBP right by the cable and post it here?
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

Well -- I'll buy the cable and cross my fingers. Otherwise I'll be stuck with a fully jerry-rigged mac...
QUOTE Thanks
sinkhole68

Great... The cable didn't change anything. So to recap:

1) My computer works normal booting off of a USB/SATA of my old hard drive -- if I attach my new hard drive (or old for that matter) internally nothing works.

2) All else fails (that I have tried).

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Java -version output error | "no camera connected" »