Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Gray Screen: I have tried it all... (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/277176-gray-screen-i-have-tried-all.html)

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 01:53 AM

Gray Screen: I have tried it all...

So all was well, then my Macbook Pro froze. I hold down power, I get the gray screen. Try everything -- PRAM, Option, C, Command S, Option R, Replaced my hard drive, RAM, Tried booting from CD, USB, whatever...

I've done it all. Is there anything I'm missing? At one point in the ordeal I actually was able to see my mac backup through my firewire, but it kind of froze up there and I haven't been able to get it to notice my mac backup file since (Firewire or USB).

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer me.

Specs: 17" Macbook Pro model A1229, Ran 10.7.4

Regards,

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 10:54 AM

Logic Board? Throw it away?

MYmacROX 06-16-2012 01:29 PM

What OS are you running? If you have Lion, you can restart and hold Command+R to enter recovery.

Unrelated thought, have you considered connecting to an external tv or monitor to see if it's a display issue?

Just spitballing here...

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 01:35 PM

It was on 10.7.4. I tried Command+R and it didn't do anything... The monitor is fine. I have been able to get a cursor to show up, I've been able to get a "Recovery HD" to show up via USB, and one time I was able to get to disk utility from my mac backup. Now I get no where with my mac backup via firewire or usb.

Thanks for the help though

Quote:

Originally Posted by MYmacROX (Post 1414999)
What OS are you running? If you have Lion, you can restart and hold Command+R to enter recovery.

Unrelated thought, have you considered connecting to an external tv or monitor to see if it's a display issue?

Just spitballing here...

toMACsh 06-16-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinkhole68 (Post 1414856)
I've done it all. Is there anything I'm missing?

Apparently not. "All" is pretty much it.
Oh wait; you didn't mention Safe Mode.

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 01:51 PM

I tried Safe Mode -- nothing happens.

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 07:46 PM

This is wild... So I go buy a SATA/USB connector hookup old hard drive. By chance (which I can't replicate again), it boots that hard drive. I had all my computer back -- everything. It was running very slow, but it was completely normal.

Would a computer work like that if the logic board were broke? Might it be the hard drive cable? Both hard drives function perfectly by the way. Alright whiz-kids... Have at it. This seems like a challenge for some of you all...

Thanks,

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 08:01 PM

OK -- I'm able to replicate the boot up to my SATA/USB old hard drive. If I hook up the new or old hard drive internally it doesn't work. What does this mean?

I'm editing this from the messed up computer that is functioning off of a SATA/USB cord. Would this mean it's the harddrive cable and not logic board? When I plugged in the hard drive with the computer on and functioning (stupid I know, but I'm desperate) I heard it spin. If that means anything to you either.

Thanks,

dtravis7 06-16-2012 08:38 PM

Let me understand you correctly. Are you putting in the same drive that works in the USB Enclosure Internally into the MPB and you get a white screen, but the same Hard Drive in that enclosure boots up fine?

If that is the case, it's either the internal SATA cable or the SATA controller.

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 08:43 PM

Yes -- nothing works internally, but both work externally. How do I test if it's controller -v- cable? Do they sale as a package?

dtravis7 06-16-2012 08:46 PM

The SATA controller is a Chip (might be in the Intel Southbridge) so if it's that, nothing you can do. The Cable you will have to purchase.

Does the cable look intact? Could you take a pic of the Inside of the MBP right by the cable and post it here?

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 08:53 PM

http://i50.tinypic.com/rs7cw1.jpg

sinkhole68 06-16-2012 08:56 PM

Well -- I'll buy the cable and cross my fingers. Otherwise I'll be stuck with a fully jerry-rigged mac...

sinkhole68 06-20-2012 11:40 PM

Great... The cable didn't change anything. So to recap:

1) My computer works normal booting off of a USB/SATA of my old hard drive -- if I attach my new hard drive (or old for that matter) internally nothing works.

2) All else fails (that I have tried).

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,