New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Default folder views

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rpincowes

rpincowes is on a distinguished road

With Mac OS 10.7, is it possible top set all folders to automatically open in the view in which they were last opened, as used to be the case with older operating systems?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

No, I don't think so, if your question is read literally. You can set them up to always open the same way, and they don't all have to be the same, if you know what I mean. However, you can temporarily change the view, and, without switching back to how it was, if you close it, it will open up the next time in the originally viewed arrangement, not the one you temporarily changed it to. So, if "In which they were last opened" means the temporary arrangement, then no.

In other words, you open a window in Arrangement 1 (A1) then change to A2 then change to A3 using right click Arrange By. Now you close it. When you open it again, it will be A1. If however, you change it using Show View Options, it will appear as it was when it was "last opened" as in the last view it was set to before it was closed.

Don't stand up too fast; you might be dizzy now.
QUOTE Thanks
rpincowes

Many thanks. I think that explains it. I just wish I was bright enough to understand it. Hey ho.
QUOTE Thanks
rpincowes

It was so easy when folders opened in the same view in which you last looked at them. I can't understand why Apple change things just to make them less convenient and more complicated, it just makes the product less attractive. I find I like Apple less and less with every upgrade! They surely are a strange breed.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I understand how it occurs, and maybe why. Because of the option to open a new folder but not a new Finder window was added, it all went out the window. That action causes the newly opened folder to replace the "view" in the same Finder window without changing its dimensions. However, I think if you close the Finder window, then open a new one directly to the folder you now wish to view, all its settings will remain intact. You can set Finder to never open a new folder in the current window, like it was in OS9, but then you can end up with dozens of windows open at the same time. That's what the newer method was probably designed to avoid.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mirroring Freezing Display | Mac OS X polling rate »