New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

2 issues see screen grabs.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sanfairyanne

sanfairyanne is on a distinguished road

This is my first post to this site so I hope I've correctly uploaded two images. The first is a screen grab that keeps popping up every half an hour asking me to enter the Yahoo Password for that account. I've done this and it just keeps coming back ever half hour and nothing I do stops it.

The second screen grab shows two files. With each file I did a ''get info'' as you can see the first is locked and the second isn't.

Is there anyway I can do a batch change of all my files to unlock them all so they are READ AND WRITE as opposed to just READ.

I really hope so because I have 1 terabyte of images and roughly half of them have the lock. I used the security lock on 50% of my images and now wish I hadn't.

Thanks ever so much, I'd really appreciate a lay mans English reply to this as I'm not very computer savvy.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 20.52.57.png (568.6 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

What app are you using for your Mail? That doesn't look like the native Mail app to me. But from what I can see, and I'm not positive about this but... it says "yahoo.com." Notice the period after the com? It's possible that the period doesn't belong there, or did the GUI simply put it there? It could also be that the password is incorrect. If that is the case, click on the check box and make sure you're entering it correctly.

As for the lock/unlock.. give me a few minutes and I'll try and figure that out!

Doug

Edit: It's a pretty bad idea to expose your entire email address on the net like that. Do yourself a favor and take that down. Edit the screenshot with Preview and block out at least part of it.
QUOTE Thanks
sanfairyanne

My email address is definitely correct, what is a GUI ?

I don't know how to take off the post showing my email address, I guess that was a bit silly.

If you can help with the batch lock/unlock I would really appreciate it as I've been struggling for over 12 hours to come up with a solution.

Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

For problem #2 try this:

1. Using Finder, the top level folder of those files that you want to unlock. Switch to List View or icon mode
2. You should now see a finder pane containing only those files and folders that you want to unlock.
3. Cmd-a to Select All.
4. Open all the sub-folders. With all selected, opt-command-right arrow to open up alllll the children.
5. Cmd-A to select all
6. Opt-Cmd-I to bring up the single pane inspect
7. Unlock

Let me know if this works.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
sanfairyanne

Sorry I meant to say my password is definitely correct, you're right though the address should be yahoo.com without the period at the end.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfairyanne View Post
My email address is definitely correct, what is a GUI ?

I don't know how to take off the post showing my email address, I guess that was a bit silly.

If you can help with the batch lock/unlock I would really appreciate it as I've been struggling for over 12 hours to come up with a solution.

Andrew
GUI= graphical user interface. Basically, the text box that keeps popping up. So, what application are you using for your mail? You never answered this. I got your solution for the batch unlock.

Doug

Edit: Hit the edit button of your original post and if you're able to get into it, just go into attachments and delete the screenshot from there.
QUOTE Thanks
sanfairyanne

I've attached a screen grab showing the list view of over 800 images, as I say somewhere in that 811 50 or so % are locked.

I'm missing precisely how you suggest I can weed out these locked files. Sorry to be a thicko !
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 23.47.18.png (759.3 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

The most important step is to select ALL the files in that folder, which you do by pressing command + A ( A stands for All) and then hit : Option + Command + I

That will bring up a general "Info" box for that entire foler. All you do then, is make sure that lock box is unticked and you're golden!

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
sanfairyanne

I figured out how to take off the first screen grab showing my email address.

So, what application are you using for your mail?

I'm using yahoo.co.uk
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
I figured out how to take off the first screen grab showing my email address.

So, what application are you using for your mail?

I'm using yahoo.co.uk
That's not an application, as far as I know That's simply a domain... What do you use to OPEN your mail?
QUOTE Thanks
sanfairyanne

Yessssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug, I've just fixed the issue with the problem 2, thanks so very much for that.
As for your last question What do you use to OPEN your mail?

I guess I'm missing something that's obvious to you, I use Safari to open Google and Yahoo, is that what you mean ?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Yessssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug, I've just fixed the issue with the problem 2, thanks so very much for that.
As for your last question What do you use to OPEN your mail?

I guess I'm missing something that's obvious to you, I use Safari to open Google and Yahoo, is that what you mean ?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. But I don't understand why that box keeps popping up? When someone uses an internet browser to sign in to Yahoo, Gmail etc, and they get their sign in info wrong, it will only say so on that page, and not make anything pop up. So there's something else going on here.

Why not use the native OS X Mail application instead, anyway? It's a lot cleaner and safer to use.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
sanfairyanne

I guess by that you're suggesting I change my email address to Mac. I simply can't do that as I have my C.V. at various agencies with that email address.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
I guess by that you're suggesting I change my email address to Mac. I simply can't do that as I have my C.V. at various agencies with that email address.
No, I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting using the native Mail client in OS X. Do this:

Hit command+spacebar. You'll see Spotlight appear on the top right corner of your screen. Type in Mail, make sure it is selected and hit ENTER/RETURN

Mail will open up. Put in your Yahoo email address and password. Done.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Keychain Access that will not quit | Running Windows On My Mac? »