New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mmjordan

mmjordan is on a distinguished road

In iTunes I want my music sorted by the year the song/album came out, how do I set it up so I don't have to sort it each time I get back into iTunes?
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

One way of doing this is to go to the toolbar and Click on View/Options. From the list of options check "Release Date".

This will put the release date of all your music (if known) on the top bar along with Artist, Composer etc. By Clicking and Holding on "Release Date" you can move it to left or right and place it to suit your convenience.

When you open iTunes, just Click on "Release Date" and all your tunes will be listed in date order. You can decide whether you want oldest or most recent date at the top.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
mmjordan

mmjordan is on a distinguished road

Ian,

I do that now, didn't know if there was a way to have it sorted that way all the time. Like after I close iTunes and re open it I don't have to sort it again. But thank you for your help.

Marshall
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi Marshall

I was trying to test out a way of doing this using "Smart Playlist". Whilst one can sort by songs by Date Added & Date Modified, I couldn't find a means of sorting by Release Date. But I don't use smart playlists that much & I may be missing something.

Good luck. Hopefully others will chime in.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Grayw97

Grayw97 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD

I played around with iTunes and didn't find anything. I did have an idea though. What if at the beginning of the album name you put the year it was released? Then if you click 'album' at the top it will sort your songs by the name of the album which will have the year it was realsed. So it will be sorted by the year you put.

Hope this works for you!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I was able to do this with a Smart Playlist though it does have one annoyance that I think cab be fixed. The annoyance is that you have to select the smart playlist each time iTunes is launched.

Set up a Smart Playlist with Year is greater than followed by the year you want the kist to start. I chose 1900 so I would be sure to catch everything. Turn live updating on so you don't have to adjust the list each time new music is added.

I think the problem of needing to select the apart playlist can be solved with Automator. It should be possible to create an app that launches iTunes then selects that Smart Playlist. I used to have a workflow that did this with a playlist that excluded Holiday music. I'll test it in Lion later and post results.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mission Control | Authorisation needed every time I delete after cloning drive »