New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to use Time Machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Luther Mac

Luther Mac is on a distinguished road

I currently have a new Macbook Air.

I backup the harddrive with Time Machine onto a external hard drive.

The Macbook needs to be returned for warranty for a couple reasons...

- the screen is showing scratches from the aluminum touching the glass when it is closed
- and the speakers are blown after just one weeks use

So before I return the Computer and exchange it for another, Im wondering how I go about utilizing Time Machine.

I am under the impression that Time Machine saves everything (my files, my settings, programs and apps, iTunes preferences/playlists my dock preferences, even my desktop background, etc) and that I will be able to plug the external hard drive into the new Macbook Air and it will restore everything to my new computer.

My questions are this:

1. Do I understand Time Machine in that it will save and restore EVERYTHING to my new Macbook Air?

2. How do I do it?

Thankyou.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Yes Time Machine backups up everything, unless you've deliberately gone into the preferences and excluded things.

When you get your new Mac the setup assistant will prompt you to setup the Mac afresh or to restore from an existing Time Machine backup.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Luther Mac

Luther Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Yes Time Machine backups up everything, unless you've deliberately gone into the preferences and excluded things.

When you get your new Mac the setup assistant will prompt you to setup the Mac afresh or to restore from an existing Time Machine backup.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« desktop control | Boot Menu List »