New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Java problem. It says it isn't enabled, but it is

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Reflex

Reflex is on a distinguished road

I can't access anything that is java based. It says 'java is not enabled'. I checked in my browser preferences, and it is. This happens on both Safari and Firefox. I am using 10.5.8

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

You could try going to Applications/Utilities/Java preferences. There should be two or more statements such as Java SE 6. The boxes adjacent to all of these need to be checked for Java to work.

By the way, do make sure that all software updates have been downloaded because recent ones included Java protection.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Reflex

Thanks for the response Ian. I tried that and there was one that wasn't checked. I checked it and still no luck in it working :S
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

It might simply have to do with the fact that OSX has its own implementation of Java that doesn't seem to correspond with Sun's "more" official version, I guess is how I'd word it. Case in point, for my part-time job, I have to go online to enter my payroll time. Ever since I upgraded to Lion, the payroll system has insisted that I don't have Java installed, even though it's enabled, up-to-date, and works with other sites. The anomaly also caused me a lot of annoyance when I was working on a Java pet project only to find that the Mac implementation of Java doesn't support changing the color of a button; makes me wonder what else Mac's Java doesn't support.
QUOTE Thanks
Reflex

The thing is, I haven't changed anything. And java doesn't seem to work on any site. This is really frustrating as I need it for my stock trading software :S
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

What do you see when you visit the site below:
How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
Reflex

It says this: Mac Users:Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java for your Mac.

But I have done that and I am up to date.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There are two ways to disable/enable Java in browsers - the system wide preferences mentioned by IWT and the browser specific preferences:
- In Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons > Plugins. Find the Java applet plugin in that list and make sure it's enabled
- In Safari, go to Preferences > Security. Make sure "Enable Java" is checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber View Post
The anomaly also caused me a lot of annoyance when I was working on a Java pet project only to find that the Mac implementation of Java doesn't support changing the color of a button; makes me wonder what else Mac's Java doesn't support.
I think that might be because Apple "Cocoa-ifies" Swing in their version. I remember reading a while back that Apple wanted control over the Java releases because they wanted Java to integrate well with OS X (this was back when Apple cared about Java).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Just curious, is this box checked in Java preferences?

If not, check it and restart your browser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Java Preferences.jpg (40.6 KB, 13 views)

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Reflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Just curious, is this box checked in Java preferences?

If not, check it and restart your browser.
Yes, that was the first thing I checked.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Did you check the browsers?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook mini dv to hdmi...no sound | After Bootcamp problems. »