New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Issues with new HDD & transferring files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stevi3P

Stevi3P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 Inch Apple iMac, 4GB, 500GB. iPhone 4S 32GB. iPad 2 16GB Wifi

I have an external HDD that I had on my old Windows PC, it's a NTFS drive. I bought a new Iomega 1TB external HDD today. I'm trying to copy files from the NTFS drive onto the new drive. I've partitioned the new drive as per instructions with the drive. When I'm copying the files over the copy process freezes after a few MB's, I'm only copying about 800MB at a time. I have to restart my iMac and when it restarts the new drive isn't getting picked up by the system (I'm running 10.7.4). I have to unplug the drive and plug it back in before its detected.
What's going on? Is the problem with the files on the NTFS drive?
Any advice would be appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

How have you partitioned the new drive by "as per instructions with the drive"? What format is the new drive?

There should be no need to follow any instructions that come with the drive. Just open Disc Utility and format it in there as Mac OS Extended(Journaled)
QUOTE Thanks
Stevi3P

The instructions state...
  1. Select Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility.
  2. In the left hand column, click on the drive icon for the Iomega Hard Drive. Make sure you click on the orange drive icon, not the volume icon.
  3. Select the Partition tab.
  4. Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu.
  5. Click on the Options button.
  6. Select the type of partition needed for your Mac -
  7. GUID Partition Table for bootability on an Intel-based Macintosh computer.
    Apple Partition Map for a PowerPC-based Mac.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Click Partition button. The drive is ready to use when the format completes.

I've done all the above. Would there generally be an issue copying files from a NTFS drive onto a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive? Is there a file size limit when copying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
How have you partitioned the new drive by "as per instructions with the drive"? What format is the new drive?

There should be no need to follow any instructions that come with the drive. Just open Disc Utility and format it in there as Mac OS Extended(Journaled)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Sounds like a communications issue is the old drive in an enclosure?

Are both drives connected by USB?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Stevi3P

Both drives are enclosed and connected via USB to computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Sounds like a communications issue is the old drive in an enclosure?

Are both drives connected by USB?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have initially thought it was the peak traffic in and out on the USB bus was causing timeouts but if the detection issue remains on restart I'd say it's most likely a hardware/enclosure issue.

It may not be your issue but I've never had anything but problems (drive failures, reliability issues)with iomega drives.

Aside from swapping out the enclosures I can only suggest using a folder sync tool to manage the transfer. That way if you do get a dropout the software will be able to pickup where it left off rather than starting from scratch everytime

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Stevi3P

Thanks for the advice.

Just been looking at the Iomega website and at the hard drive user manual. It says "If you will be using the drive only on Mac OS systems, use a Mac OS Extended (HFS+) format." .
Is this different to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?
It goes on to say "NOTE: If you want to configure Time Machine to use your Iomega Hard Drive, the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended."
I'm not using it with Time Machine so should I format it as Mac OS Extended (HFS+)?

Also, the new hard drive is this one. The NTFS drive is a Western Digital My Book, I'm not sure what type of drive it is (SATA etc??). Would this matter?

Quote:
I'd have initially thought it was the peak traffic in and out on the USB bus was causing timeouts but if the detection issue remains on restart I'd say it's most likely a hardware/enclosure issue.

It may not be your issue but I've never had anything but problems (drive failures, reliability issues)with iomega drives.

Aside from swapping out the enclosures I can only suggest using a folder sync tool to manage the transfer. That way if you do get a dropout the software will be able to pickup where it left off rather than starting from scratch everytime
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The format in this case shouldn't make any difference

QUOTE Thanks
Stevi3P

I think I'll try copying to internal HD then copy to new HDD. There might be too much traffic causing the transfer to freeze?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's another step but yes, that will ease the process to some degree.

I'd still recommend using a sync tool to manage it.

QUOTE Thanks
Stevi3P

Quote:
It's another step but yes, that will ease the process to some degree.

I'd still recommend using a sync tool to manage it.
Can you recommend any particular software to do this? Thanks for your help BTW
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

If you're feeling adventurous you can use rsync (with or without automator) - it's part of OSX
rsync + Automator = free and easy backups for your Mac

If not I'd suggested Mac App Store - File Synchronization

QUOTE Thanks
Stevi3P

Quote:
If you're feeling adventurous you can use rsync (with or without automator) - it's part of OSX
rsync + Automator = free and easy backups for your Mac

If not I'd suggested Mac App Store - File Synchronization
Thanks. I don't know if I'd be confident to try rsync so I'll try File Synchronization first.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
The instructions state...
Select Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility.
In the left hand column, click on the drive icon for the Iomega Hard Drive. Make sure you click on the orange drive icon, not the volume icon.
Select the Partition tab.
Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu.
Click on the Options button.
Select the type of partition needed for your Mac -
GUID Partition Table for bootability on an Intel-based Macintosh computer.
Apple Partition Map for a PowerPC-based Mac.
Click OK.
Click Partition button. The drive is ready to use when the format completes.
Yes, that's the way to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Stevi3P

OK so after copying some files to my Mac's HD I tried copying them to the new drive but same issue, freezing after a few seconds. I tested copying an existing folder with files on the Mac's HD to the new drive and it copied with no issues.
The issue seems to be with the files that were on the NTFS drive.
Is there any way of changing the NTFS drive to Mac file system and keep all the files intact?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Duplicate png files | Moving a File from Desktop to Thumb drive »