New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Default Font Folder Location Change

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frank44

frank44 is on a distinguished road

I have literally dug around for hours looking for a solution to this issue and I'm wondering if someone can help me figure it out.

The Problem:
I work on two different computers from time to timeand I need access to my fonts on both machines seamlessly.

Question:
Does anyone know of a way to move where your computer locates fonts? For example, can I move the "...system>library>fonts" folder to Dropbox or something similar?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Oh no. You never never never ever mess with /System. Never! Unless you want to render your system unbootable. Don't even put 3rd party fonts there. The proper place for 3rd party fonts is /Library/Fonts (if you want them accessible to all users on the computer) or in yourhomefolder/Library/Fonts (for just yourself).

As for syncing between multiple computers, what may be the best thing to do is make a symbolic link to your Fonts folder and put that symlink in your DropBox folder. Do the same on each computer. That should keep them all in sync.

As for how to make a symlink, the easiest way is to grab a freebie called SymbolicLinker. Follow the included install instructions.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I use a combo of lInotype font explorer (the old free version) and drop box to keep all font folders up to date at work. I just leave the base system fonts in Library?Fonts and let Font explorer handle the rest

Here's a couple of links

http://fex.linotype.com/FontExplorerX123.dmg

Best Practices for Managing Fonts in Mac OS X

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
frank44

frank44 is on a distinguished road

Great solutions - thanks!

@louishen I installed linotype and asked it to move my font files to a new folder on Dropbox. When I open a finder and look in the new folder on Dropbox, it's empty. Are the actual fonts supposed to be in there?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If you go the route using my symlink suggestion, a couple potential problems came to mind after I posted. Firstly…. make sure Dropbox is disabled temporarily on both Macs before adding the symlinks to the Dropbox folder. If you don't, the files will get synced from the proper /Library/Fonts folder on the first Mac to a new Fonts folder (not symlink) in the Dropbox folder on the second Mac.

Secondly… if you decide to stop syncing the Fonts, disable Dropbox on both Macs before deleting the symlinks. If you don't, the fonts from one Mac will get wiped out when you delete the symlink on the other.

My idea will (well "should") work, but obviously not without risks and a little up front management. Keep proper backups available at all times and you should be fine. Of course louishen's idea may be a better one too. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems pretty sound. In response to your question to him, I would think that the fonts should go into the folder in Dropbox.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software Update Problem. | Lost Volume Control When Headphones Are Plugged In »