Getting to know OSX
    Hi,
    I have an early 2009 MacPro Tower with dual-quad processors and a QuadroFX-4800 GPU. I'm a PC to Mac convert, so this machine was built to the PC workstation specs I previously owned. I had hoped this would be an improvement, but so far it's not panning out that way.

I'm frustrated since I'm not getting the same performance I once had with my old PC--which was much older tech and dated software. I also thought I'd get some support from Apple since the entire purchase was through their website. However, once they hear I have the Quadro (purchased through Apple) they refuse to help.

The strangest behavior is relying on my dual monitors. I have a Cinema Display and a Cintiq stacked vertically with the Cintiq on the bottom and the Cinema Display as the primary display on top. Here's a few problems I'm running into:

--When making changes in Photoshop, the Cintiq (lower display) doesn't update until I save the document or shift the document (forcing a refresh is my guess).
    --When rendering OpenGL in After Effects or Premiere, the quality of the render is noticeably worse. It looks like it's been compressed for the web, circa 1999
    --Open Spaces doesn't show the programs where they reside and will even move open software into a new Space. I must physically drag the window/workspaces to the proper area before selecting the Space I want to go to.
    --Open Spaces keyboard shortcuts usually won't respond.

There's more, but this list lays out the basic problems I'm enduring. Many thanks to you for reading through all this and I hope that a reasonable solution can be offered.
    ~Chaz

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    What OS is it running, how much ram and spare disk space do you have, and do you ever do any maintenance on the OS
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Hi Loiushen,
    I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I haven't a clue how to maintain my mac. What kind of maintenance should I do?
    ~Chaz

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Onyx is a good free maintenance app

Otherwise I often install a combo update on macs that need a bit of a refresh, even if the OS is up to date

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Thanks, I'll try it out. BTW, How do I uninstall the GPU drivers? I'd love to nix them altogether and reinstall them fresh.
    ~Chaz

Thread Information