New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Powerbook G4 OS 10.3.9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gekkobelly

gekkobelly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 imacs, 2 iphones, 1 ipad

Hi, I'm looking for some help/advice, I'm not the most technically minded person, so please bare with me!

My 84yo grandpa has decided he wants his first computer and to get online and keep in touch with some relatives by email. To keep him from getting a PC, I have given him my old Powerbook G4 currently running 10.3.9 - old i know, but should be ample for what he is wanting to do, or so i thought.

I got the laptop cleaned up and ready and he's working well with it and his digital camera, however, we got his broadband turned on yesterday and because it is running 10.3.9 it won't load the latest safari or firefox and as such, it won't load Yahoo mail, which is where i have set up his email! I also tried hotmail and Gmail and it won't run any of them.

Does anyone know a way around this, if a powerbook G4 OS is upgradeable past 10.3.9 and how i go about it if so?? Anyone else have a G4 powerbook that they have managed to keep running?

I know the obvious answer to buy a new laptop, but at 84, he doesn't want (or have) 1k to spend on a new macbook and I really don't think he'll last two minutes with a PC.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You didn't give us any cpu specs. on this Powerbook G4...but it is probably safe to assume that it can be upgraded to OS 10.4 (Tiger)...and if the cpu specs. are good enough...it would be upgradeable to OS 10.5 (Leopard).

If the cpu specs are acceptable...OS 10.5.8 is the absolute "newest" OS that a Powerbook G4 can be upgraded to.

In either case...an install disk for 10.4 or 10.5 will cost you $80-$100 in the US...not sure how much they will cost you in the UK.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
gekkobelly

Thanks Nick. I took a photo on my phone of the profile, does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (150.8 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkobelly View Post
Thanks Nick. I took a photo on my phone of the profile, does this help?
Whoa...unfortunately this Powerbook G4 is a lot slower than I was hoping. 400mhz is pretty darn slow. Even OS 10.4 (Tiger) won't run very fast on it.

Upgrading to 10.4 Tiger is possible...I would not upgrade to OS 10.5. Not only will it be VERY slow...but you need at least an 867mhz cpu to upgrade to 10.5.

You could upgrade this computer to 10.4 (purchase 10.4 install disk off e-Bay)...or spent some $$$/ to get a better used computer for your granddad...so he will have a better computing experience.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
gekkobelly

I feared as much, thanks for your help Nick
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkobelly View Post
I feared as much, thanks for your help Nick
You're welcome.

I own a lot of various Macintosh computer models...and honestly...these days...I wouldn't surf the internet on anything slower than a G4 based Mac with less than a 1.25ghz cpu...running OS 10.4 or 10.5.

This is what I'm calling an absolute minimum for a "decent" internet surfing experience (and this wouldn't even include being able to watch internet video).

There are plenty of slower/older Mac models that will get the job done...they will just be slow. If budget was not an issue...ideally I would recommend getting a Macintosh with at least an Intel cpu. But I understand you may have some budget constraints...and that this Powerbook G4 you would be giving to your Granddad was an opportunity to get him started with computing at a minimal cost.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac keeps freezing very often | iPhoto folder »