New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

mail & exchange 2003

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jason_25

jason_25 is on a distinguished road

So I have a bit of a tricky one and excuse me for probably not using the correct technical termonlogy. My work has given me a dell laptop with office and outlook on it which I use at home and to do so I need to use a VPN to connect to works server or exchange won't connect. Work uses exchange 2003 which is painful in itself so I can't set up my work email to my mac mail at home even if I wanted to. My email works fine on my iPhone and iPad which from what I understand is because of ActiveSync.
My question is, is there a way to get mac mail to connect to my work email using ActiveSync or any other way or am I screwed and destined to use my windows door stop?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Someone else may have a better answer but as long as your work is using Exchange Server 2003, you won't be able to sync up even with Outlook 2011. If they upgrade the server to at least 2007 (2010 would be better) then you could use Outlook 2011.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Entourage 2008 will connect to Exchange 2003 but,...

Entourage 2008 uses WebDAV to connect and this is not enabled by default on the 2003 Exchange server and most admins won't do it, especially for one user.
No email client for the Mac including Outlook 2011 uses ActiveSync. Apple licensed the technology for iOS but I'm pretty sure Mac Mail (iCal and AddressBook) still use WebDAV.

Outlook Web Access might be your only option. Assuming 443 is open for ActiveSync.

Look at your mail server settings on your phone and then add https:// to the front and /exchange to the end.

ie: https://mail.company.com/exchange

This should not require a VPN to connect if 443 is open for iOS devices.
QUOTE Thanks
jason_25

jason_25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork View Post
Entourage 2008 will connect to Exchange 2003 but,...

Entourage 2008 uses WebDAV to connect and this is not enabled by default on the 2003 Exchange server and most admins won't do it, especially for one user.
No email client for the Mac including Outlook 2011 uses ActiveSync. Apple licensed the technology for iOS but I'm pretty sure Mac Mail (iCal and AddressBook) still use WebDAV.

Outlook Web Access might be your only option. Assuming 443 is open for ActiveSync.

Look at your mail server settings on your phone and then add https:// to the front and /exchange to the end.

ie: https://mail.company.com/exchange

This should not require a VPN to connect if 443 is open for iOS devices.
thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion Update 10.7.3 | Free Open Source CRM »