New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion Recovery not showing up on my Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deltek

deltek is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook, the last model they made of it. I am running 10.6 on an SSD I set up myself. I decided to install Lion on an external hard drive. So whenever I needed to boot from it I would normally press the "Option" key at startup and then I would see three choices, 10.6, 10.7, and Lion Recovery. Now, since I can't remember the last time I used the superdrive/dvd drive on the Mac I decided to remove it and put in a 750 GB HD on it and so I did. After this was set I cloned the external hard drive which I was running 10.7 from to the second internal hard drive I just installed. However, now whenever I press "Option" at startup I only see the option to run 10.6 and 10.7 but no Lion Recovery. Any idea why this may have happened ? I cloned the entire hard drive using Super Duper. Shouldn't I also see the Lion Recovery Partition when I press "Option" at startup ? Any ideas would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I don't believe Super Duper will clone the Lion Recovery partition over. I know Carbon Copy Cloner will.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This is the most recent info I found on the SuperDuper site,
Quote:
The recovery partition is a separate partition. We only copy the partitions you tell us to copy. So the recovery partition would not be removed (unless you took steps to do so).
. That was right after Lion was released but I don't think it has changed. The rest of the thread can be found at Does SD! clone the new Recovery HD partition in Lion? [Archive] - Shirt Pocket Discussions

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Frankly, I don't know why the developers of SuperDuper have not updated their program to include that option. Bombich (CCC developer) released an update to CCC soon after Lion was released. CCC now copies (clones) the recovery partition the first time you make the clone. Subsequent updates do not copy the recovery partition as that would not normally be necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I was not ware of this limitation of SuperDuper until I had to clone my drive recently. I stumbled upon a post somewhere that talked about this. It never dawned on me that a cloning program wouldn't copy the recovery partition. I understand not having that feature immediately upon Lion's release but we are almost up to Mountain Lion now.

BTW wouldn't Liger have been a better name for 10.8? After all we've already had Lion and Tiger jk

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto folder | Migration Assistant - Upgrade »