New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac App called Little Snitch?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacHottlebeez

MacHottlebeez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz and PPC G5 2.0

I recently saw a person solving a problem of some sort of privacy,
and they suggested to someone (who was a noobie?) to find out more
by running an App called Little Snitch.

Is it a IP verifier or what?

Thanks from a Mac Forums Noobie
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Little Snitch is an application that informs you whenever something tries to access the net. Read about it here and also download.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It's generally used by people who have pirated software and don't want the software to "phone home." At least that's my observation.

I'm sure there are legit uses for it, just like there are legit uses for BitTorrent; but you know, COME ON. Let's be real, shall we?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

No, Little snitch on a Mac is for people paranoid that their computer will get hacked. I have only used it a few times to actually see what was doing what on the net. Not running it down BTW, but really of little use for me most of the time at this point in time. If on Windows, I could see using an app like that.

I think it's an excellent app for concerned people, but on OSX, I really don't need it. With me only use it to see what some apps are doing. Not pirated one BTW.

That is interesting that you have seen pirates use it. Never have myself but then again most of the true pirates I know run Windows anyway!

BTW I use Bit torrent for my Linux and Haiku downloads. Find it very fast and easy to do in the background. Always trying new things. So far never found an OS I like as well as OSX!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
It's generally used by people who have pirated software and don't want the software to "phone home." At least that's my observation.

I'm sure there are legit uses for it, just like there are legit uses for BitTorrent; but you know, COME ON. Let's be real, shall we?
I use it just to monitor what my computer is doing. Plus it has an added benefit of the current OS X malware auto deleting itself if it detects Little Snitch installed.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You could always use netstat to monitor network connections - it's free and included with OS X. Unix nerd warning though: it requires using the command line.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanning Pictures | Copying files ?? »