New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Migration Assistant - Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Susie D

Susie D is on a distinguished road

I am running OS X Version 10.6.6, with Snow Leopard and i want to use the migration assistant to transfer all files from this mac to a brand new mac book pro.

I can only find software update online for the 10.6.8
(Migration Assistant Update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard v1.0)

Any suggestions how i update the migration assistant software so that i can make the transfers? Or any other suggestions how i go about getting the 2 computers to read each other?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Migration Assistant doesn't need an update. It should be available on the new Mac.
Connect the two Macs with a firewire cable. You may need a cable with different end plugs to match the two computers.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Why do you think that you need to upgrade MA?
QUOTE Thanks
Susie D

Susie D is on a distinguished road

My new computer is asking me to make sure i have the latest MA upgraded as the computer can't be found. I see now i probably need to have the right cable (as mentioned) to connect them so they can be read.

I will try the cable - would it be the Firewire 800 to 400 cable that i need?

Thank you for your advice so far...
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
My new computer is asking me to make sure i have the latest MA
Have you run Software Update to see if it comes up

Quote:
I can only find software update online for the 10.6.8
(Migration Assistant Update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard v1.0)
I can see your confusion, that's the latest update that I can find on the Apple site, yet About This Mac is telling me that I have v3.0.4. Very strange.

You might like to try updating to 10.6.8 and see if that helps.
Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

If you do update, run Software Update again afterwards, as there has been a recent Security Update.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion Recovery not showing up on my Mac | Finder opening on Boot up... »