New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

House Cleaning-Any Guidelines?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ekkojelly7

ekkojelly7 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to clean up my MacBook, too much stuff. Where should I start, are there any how to's that I can use?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

By too much stuff, what are you referring to? Too much music, movies, photos?

The reason we ask is because it's not recommended to start arbitrarily deleting things from your hard drive. That usually leads to trouble. Tell us what it is that you would like to remove.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

If you don't know what it is, don't delete it. If it's not a file (includes the above) think twice before you delete it. If you don't know the consequences of deleting it, don't.

Looking for an app to make these decisions for you sounds like the "easy" way. It can also lead to trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
ekkojelly7

ekkojelly7 is on a distinguished road

I have 105 MB's on my Desktop. My Documents folder has 10.3 GB's (9 of which are a video project). Too much, just right or...wrong questions?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkojelly7 View Post
I have 105 MB's on my Desktop. My Documents folder has 10.3 GB's (9 of which are a video project). Too much, just right or...wrong questions?
As quoted above only delete files that you've created /added like those in Documents/pictures/video but only you can tell whether they are able to be deleted or perhaps moved to an external hard disk.

Another option is to uninstall any software you've added that you no longer need. Again, stick to apps you've installed and you know you don't use.

If you really can't remove things because you need to keep them you need to consider the external drive or replacement hard disk option.

Running the automated scripts in a tool like Onyx will safely clear down temp files, caches, etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail/mobilme/icloud | Scanning Pictures »