New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trouble booting from disc on imac a1207

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

briansong

briansong is on a distinguished road

I recently installed a used hard drive straight out of my pc into my imac a1207 which had a failed hd. I haven't done anything to prep the hd, figuring I would install snow leopard and erase anything on it as well as format it. I tried booting from the disc by holding "c" after the chime but after a couple minutes or so, all I get is a flashing icon of a folder with a question mark inside. This being my first mac, I have no idea what's wrong. I believe the disc is good as I used it with the old hard drive and installed it correctly before it died. I sure would appreciate any advice for this pc user trying to make the change to mac!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You need to format that HD (using Disk Utility). The format should be "Mac OS Extended Journaled".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If I understan correctly you are not even getting to the point where you can run Disk Utility, correct? If so here's what I would try:

1. Make sure the CD/DVD you are using is either the retail disc (white with a Snow Leopard on the front) or the same disc that came with the Mac you are trying to fix.

2. Try holding down the Option key immediately after you hear the chime. After a few seconds you should see a list of bootable drives. Use the arrows if necessary to select the CD and then press Return.

Once the system boots you should be able to get to Disk Utility to format the drive. BTW are we sure that the disc drive (CD/DVD) is functioning properly?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Specs on your computer will help. Did it come new with Lion on it and thus unable to boot Snow Leopard? vAnd tell us about the DVD you are using for the install? Did it come with the computer? If not is it a black full retail install DVD? Silver grey system discs are strictly for the model they were released with.,

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
briansong

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Specs on your computer will help. Did it come new with Lion on it and thus unable to boot Snow Leopard? vAnd tell us about the DVD you are using for the install? Did it come with the computer? If not is it a black full retail install DVD? Silver grey system discs are strictly for the model they were released with.,
The DVD I'm using was given to me. It has been burned on a dual layer dvd-r. I'm not sure if it was a download or a copy but as I said before, I used it to do a successful install on the old hd before it failed. My IMAC is an a1207, late 2006: 2.16ghz core 2 duoT7400, 1GB RAM, 250GB (now 1TB seagate hd).
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh dear pirated software is not the answer. There is no legal way to download Mc OS X of any form.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
briansong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
If I understan correctly you are not even getting to the point where you can run Disk Utility, correct? If so here's what I would try:

1. Make sure the CD/DVD you are using is either the retail disc (white with a Snow Leopard on the front) or the same disc that came with the Mac you are trying to fix.

2. Try holding down the Option key immediately after you hear the chime. After a few seconds you should see a list of bootable drives. Use the arrows if necessary to select the CD and then press Return.

Once the system boots you should be able to get to Disk Utility to format the drive. BTW are we sure that the disc drive (CD/DVD) is functioning properly?
Ok, so I held the option key and a picture of a hd appeared. It said "Windows" under it. I imagine this is my windows 7 from my pc. Nothing for the disc drive so I'm assuming my Snow Leopard disc is bad because the drive was working ok for the short time I got to use it. Now what? I got this machine used without any software. Do I now have to buy, it or is there a product keycode for the original OS that I can obtain for free? Money is a factor right now and I wouldn't mind too much if I had to use an outdated OS.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Depending on the model as A1207 reveals nothing on MactRacker, Snow Leopard may install and can be purchased from Apple Online for $29. It must be an Intel Mac for Snow Leopard to work.

The illegally copied disc you have may well b e a copy of the original system install disc from a different machine. They are strictly model specific.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac will not download | Time machine »