New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do I completely shut down my mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thegamerdug

thegamerdug is on a distinguished road

On my window's computer, when I shut down, every process is stopped, and only programs that I set up to run on start-up do so when I boot up.

On my new mac (running lion), I shut down and booted back up, and all the programs I had been running where still open, though none of these programs are set to "run at login."

Question: How do I completely shut down a mac?
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Did you make sure the tick box "Reopen windows when logging back in" is not checked.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Do this as well:

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
thegamerdug

Ok, I followed Doug B's suggestion and made sure nothing is selected as to run at login. When I shut down and booted up, it still opens up what I had running

EDIT: To clarify, I followed the directions given by the 2 posts above.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

No, that is not what he suggested. Look at the screen shots again.

That box he pointed to must be blank, that is, not checked.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

How did you close your applications? Did you hit the red x or did you go to the menu and tell it to quit? (which is also command + Q as a shortcut) If you did the former, that is not actually quitting an application, it is simply closing a window. To properly quit all applications before shutting down, hold down command (don't let go) while tapping on the tab key and when hovering over an app icon, let go of tab and hit Q while still holding command. It's like Alt+Tab in Windows.

Doug

Edit: And yes, as Tom noted.. that check box must be left blank.
QUOTE Thanks
thegamerdug

By "followed his suggestion" I was saying that I unchecked the box.

And shutting down my computer should quit all my apps... that is what I am requesting help with
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You don't seem to be getting this.

If you are not quitting apps BEFORE YOU SHUT DOWN, the computer will assume you want to resume those programs when you start back up again ... otherwise, why wouldn't you quit them?

As detailed above, you are probably not actually quitting programs and are instead closing the window. Not the same thing. Learn to properly quit your apps before shutting down, and this problem should not re-appear.
QUOTE Thanks
thegamerdug

The problem is that I should not have to quit anything. Shut Down should mean stop all programs and power off.

I should be able to stop what I am doing, and click Apple - Shut Down. 2 steps to go from working, to a clean log-in the next time I boot up
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

When you shut down there is a timer countdown window

http://mactips.info/wp-content/uploa...restart-01.jpg

make sure the checkbox in NOT Checked.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
thegamerdug

Well, I have solved my own problem. Using Automator, I have set up a workflow? that quit all applications and then tells finder to shut down.

1) This was way more effort than it should have been

2) If anyone would like the script, send me a message with your email address.

EDIT: Ramimac1, thank you for your help
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Why would we need/want some silly script?

Following the above instructions from multiple people will result in what you want without having to resort to an automated script. You're the one who made this harder than it needed to be.

QUOTE Thanks
thegamerdug

No. You all made it difficult. Only two suggestions actually helped me. The rest of you ran around spouting the same thing and couldn't comprehend basic english
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Not to sound rude, but you feel the computer is not shutting down. It is. Lion remembers the last state of the computer by default and when you POWER ON it brings everything up you had open. The computer is not running when it's powered off and neither are the apps.

What Ramimac1 posted will get you your desired result. Many though like the computer to bring it back to where you left off. It's all up to you.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerdug View Post
No. You all made it difficult. Only two suggestions actually helped me. The rest of you ran around spouting the same thing and couldn't comprehend basic english
Yet amazingly I'd bet if you did a forum search this question/issue wouldn't break the top 20 of most asked questions on the forum from new Mac users. The answer is pretty simple and it doesn't take using an automated script to make the machine do what you want it to do.

Furthermore, the fact that your first of the original post mentions Windows leads me to believe that you are at the very least trying to troll to a certain extent. Now it has been explained to you that when you shut the computer down, it actually does shut down all processes and that you are merely seeing the machine remembering it last state and returning to it when it is started again. You were give clear instructions as to what to do by 2 different people but you still claim you had to resort to a script. Sounds to me like you simply don't want to listen to the advice being given and would rather whine about how hard this is when it clear is not hard at all.

One last piece of advice. This isn't Windows, so don't expect to act like Windows. It's a Mac and it is different. There is no right or wrong here, there is just different. If you can't deal with different then you may want to go back to what you know and are comfortable with.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sNOw Leopard????? | Can't delete event in iCal »