New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

.doc v. .docx

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Paul Stephenson

Paul Stephenson is on a distinguished road

I submit pieces involving text and geometrical diagrams and photographs to different journal editors. They must be free to edit the pieces, therefore a .pdf (alone) is not a suitable file type to send. I use a MacBook Pro, O.S.10.7.4. Am I right in thinking I have two choices:
1. to use iWorks' Pages and then export the document as a .doc,
2. to use Word version 14.2.2 (Word for Mac 2011), which produces a .docx, as opposed to a .doc, file?
If so, which should I use?

Thank you.

Paul Stephenson
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can save as a doc or docx in Word.

If it's imperative that the documents look the same across machines (it sounds like you're submitting drafts for a journal article so I imagine that this is the case), you might want to consider Word since you'll have a much lower risk of developing headaches. That's not to say that Pages isn't capable but it's possible that somethings might get "lost in translation."

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Paul Stephenson

Thank you for that, Vansmith. A mishap of the type you mention has indeed occurred.

Paul Stephenson
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'd add that if you're supplying someone else with materials that they will continue to work on, matching your tools with theirs will ensure the smoothest exchange of information

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac is one of the best deals out there if you compare the cost to the Windows version.

Yes, the latest versions of the MS Office Suite on both sides create the DOCX. If you do work like I do, and work with people in the Windows Office world, "compatible" just doesn't cut it.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And go into Word > Preferences > Save > and select the format you wish to have work saved in. .docx is the standard however you can select .doc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Yes, the latest versions of the MS Office Suite on both sides create the DOCX. If you do work like I do, and work with people in the Windows Office world, "compatible" just doesn't cut it.
+1 to what member Deckyon stated above. While other office suites or programs might have the capability to create DOC or DOCX documents, MS Office in the business, educational, and legal world is the de facto standard.
QUOTE Thanks
Paul Stephenson

Thank you very much mrplow, Deckyon, harryb2448, chscag.
There seems to be agreement on what I should do.

Paul Stephenson
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reactivate Filevault | Mac OSX LION Server configuration Farm »