Thread: Safari homepage

Safari homepage
    I want to set my homepage to open up a different website (from a group of websites in my bookmarks) each time it opens.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    You could select top sites in Safari preferences.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by dragyourshoes View Post
    I want to set my homepage to open up a different website (from a group of websites in my bookmarks) each time it opens.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?
    Literally the way you've worded it, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    You could select top sites in Safari preferences.
    Top Sites will display, um, your top sites, that is, the ones you go to most often. So this may or may not be sufficient. Of course, it's not the same as the literal reading of the question, but it's a good thought. Might do the job.

I want Safari to choose a webpage from a pre-selected list of webpages. I want it to be able to cycle through the list so that it goes through the whole list.
    Does that make more sense?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    The literal answer to your question is no, Safari can't do that (I don't know of any other browser that can do that either).

There are two SIMILAR solutions but they are not LITERALLY what you're asking for.

The first is to edit Top Sites to "anchor" your preferred sites (this is what I've done -- in effect, 24 home pages!). Set your default to open Top Sites, pick the site you'd like to go to today from the list of 24, and done.

The other is to put your preferred list of sites into a bookmarks folder, and put the folder in your Bookmarks Bar. The folder can hold as many sites as you like, but I recommend a dozen or less (you'll see why in a moment).

Set Safari to default open to a blank page. Click on the folder in the Bookmarks Bar. Go to the last item, which is always "Open in Tabs." All the sites in that folder will now open in tabs. You can read the first (or 10th for that matter), close it when you're done, it moves on to the next site and so forth. I do this with my short list of quality news sites, and read them in the morning over breakfast. Fascinating to see how different sites will cover the same stories, or the different stories they choose to emphasise.

Hope that helps you.

Thread Information