New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

sound locked

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arielmalul

arielmalul is on a distinguished road

hi,
i have problems with my sound. the sound is not working. when i press the keyboard buttons its gray and locked, also at the system preferences- the mute is checked and locked.
now, when i restart my mac i press "shift" to go into the safe mode and i do restart normally again, and then it fixed. the problem is every time i turn my computer off the problem comes back again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled copy.jpg (5.5 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Have you added any new software recently? Also, does this problem occur when you log into a different user account?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
arielmalul

hi,
yes. i recently installes adobe cs6... the problem started after that actually. and no, i didn't tried to log from different account, i don't have.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might want to try creating a new account and running from there for a bit to see if the sound problem goes away.
Given that the problem does correct itself I suspect it is something software related possibly a corrupt preference file. Which version of OS X are you running and on what Mac hardware?

Also does this happen when you are working on any specific type of file?

QUOTE Thanks
arielmalul

i will try that.
I'm working with macbook pro 10.7.4. I don't know what mac hardware.
The problem is not connected to specific file. I guess it is a system problem. I did verify disk and repair permissions, everything seems to be ok.
QUOTE Thanks
arielmalul

so, the new account didn't help. But again, when i entered the safe mode and restarted it fixed. until the next shut down...
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Without knowing your hardware I can't say for sure but this may fix the problem https://josephhall.org/nqb2/index.php/stuckonmute.

To find out your hardware go to the Apple menu in the upper left corner. You can find out the basics by choosing About this Mac and more detail can be found by choosing the more info button.

QUOTE Thanks
arielmalul

I know the menu, i just don't know what it means what hardware....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 copy.jpg (9.5 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firefox on a five year old mac | Sharing iCal »