New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

firewall

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Blueyes

Blueyes is on a distinguished road

this is a common entry in my firewall log:
Jun 5 20:53:59 Macintosh Firewall[101]: Stealth Mode connection attempt to TCP 192.168.0.10:49157 from 17.149.36.110:5223
TCP 192... belongs to my computer; I understand the 17...IP address is from an apple product...my question is, is this an apple device attempting to intrude into my system and is being rejected by my firewall? I have about 5 persistent IP addresses that do this. There is someone who has invaded my computer in the past, who has an iPhone with a very similiar address. Is there cause for concern? Or is the apple address simply my own somehow? I have a macbook pro, late 2011, version 10.7.4; software updates, mackeeper and macscan, firewall always up to date. I have a home wireless network with WEP protection, I do not use any proxies. I very much appreciate help with this question.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

MacKeeper: junk. Do a search on this forum.
MacScan: junk.
Firewall: does nothing to protect you in this case. Just turn it off. If you have file sharing turned off, there is nothing anyone can do to get into your computer beyond (maybe) the Public Folder unless they know your password.

Chances are you're seeing connections from your own MacScan or MacKeeper junk.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Port 5223 is used by the " Push Notification " mechanism, also used by Apple products.
Are you using MobileMe ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Blueyes

I do not use mobile me. I have file sharing turned off. It has been brought to my attention that even macs can be hacked by using one's IP address, being able to then ascertain passwords. No one has access to my passwords, otherwise; I am the only user on my mac pro and it has never left my hands. However, the person who told me macs can be hacked by IP address, is the owner of the iphone I am concerned about. That person has received emails from me which of course contain my IP address. I don't know how to change my IP address. Thanks for feedback about MacKeeper and MacScan and Firewall. I'm not sure what to do now.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I have a home wireless network with WEP protection, I do not use any proxies. I very much appreciate help with this question.
WEP protection is almost useless and can be cracked by even rank amateur hackers.

Always use a strong password along with WPA2 encryption for WiFi, keep file sharing off, and make sure that you also have a strong Admin password assigned to gain access to the machine. No one can hack your Mac through email unless you allow it. And you can't change your IP address.
QUOTE Thanks
Blueyes

Thank you chscag. How does one change from WEP to WPA2 then? I have appreciated everyones help so much!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Changing the security on your connection is done on your router configuration page. What make and model of router do you have?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Blueyes

I am connected through our local cable option, Time Warner Cable. I apologize for my ignorance, but I am not sure how to determine, or even which black box, is the router. When I go to my network configuration, I can access my router number (address?) is this helpful, or do I need to contact TWC? I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If you know how to access your router from its address, that's fine. If you're in doubt about how to make the changes, contact your ISP (TWC) and have them walk you through it.

BTW, you can identify the modem from router by looking at which one of the boxes that the cable from the wall connects to. The cable connects to the modem, the router is connected to the output of the modem. Your devices are then connected to the outputs from the router.
QUOTE Thanks
Blueyes

Thank you very much, chscag! I will contact TWC to get WPA2 protection and I appreciate the information about differentiating the modem from the router. This was very helpful. I have learned a great deal from help via this forum. I wish I would have done this sooner. Thank you again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac in RAID-0 | how to install modem to my computer? »