New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Extremely slow Internet on iMac, but ok on iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RowanF

RowanF is on a distinguished road

In the last week or so, Internet access on my iMac has got slower and slower, both using Safari and Google Chrome. Now, nothing completes loading - the blue stripe gets part way across the "address" but then gets stuck. This happens when connected to my router via Ethernet or AirPort or both. But Internet access works fine on my iPad and on my children's (Windows) laptops. Help!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

could you reset the modem ? see how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
RowanF

I have turned off router and turned it back on again - it used to help a bit but now has no effect. Ditto turning the iMac off, leaving it overnight and turning back on (and router and iMac off and on together).
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

which model year is your imac ? could you use ethernet cable link from router to your imac, see how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
RowanF

Thanks.

I bough the iMac in 2010.

I have been using same Ethernet cable since I bought the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
AlanaStroker

AlanaStroker is on a distinguished road

I wish I could help, but I'm here bc I have the exact same problem. We bought our iMac 5 days ago. Internet has gotten slower and slower until now it's totally stuck. iPad and compaq laptop work fine. It's just the iMac. I've spent countless hours on the phone with apple support and they finally told me last night to return the iMac to best buy and exchange it for another one. Not sure if I want another one, this machine costs way to much to have so many problems so soon.
QUOTE Thanks
steven_james

steven_james will become famous soon enough

Have you tried flushing your history, cleaning out cached sites, resetting the browsers to defaults, making sure you have the latest OS updates? This is where I would definitely start. If your ipad is working fine, sounds like you have a browser issue.
QUOTE Thanks
AlanaStroker

AlanaStroker is on a distinguished road

Hopefully that will work for you, it didn't for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac server to replace Windows server | red exclamation point »