New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Really screwed up my Terminal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NKunkel

NKunkel is on a distinguished road

So I'm trying to set up a developer environment for Ruby on Rails on my Macbook Pro running Lion 10.7.3.

Following this guide: How to install Xcode, Homebrew, Git, RVM, & Ruby 1.9.3 on Snow Leopard & Lion - Moncef Belyamani

I went to the Mac Store and installed XCode, as the Command Line Tools. I installed gcc and homebrew through the command prompt as instructed, however this is where I started running into problems.

When I ran brew doctor to check if my system was "raring to brew" i got this output:

Code:
Warning: Your Xcode is configured with an invalid path.
You should change it to the correct path. Please note that there is no correct
path at this time if you have *only* installed the Command Line Tools for Xcode.
If your Xcode is pre-4.3 or you installed the whole of Xcode 4.3 then one of
these is (probably) what you want:

sudo xcode-select -switch /Developer
    sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

DO NOT SET / OR EVERYTHING BREAKS!
Beeing a fool, I selected the first option and submitted "sudo xcode-select -switch /Developer" and moments later realized the tutorial said to submit the second option "sudo xcode-select -switch/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer"

Now, no matter what I enter into the terminal I always get the following:

-bash: install: command not found
-bash: ruby: command not found
-bash: sudo: command not found

Naively thinking I could fix it myself, I tried uninstalling Xcode by deleting it from the applications folder, however upon further review trying to reinstall it from the App Store I found the App Store still thinks Xcode is installed.

I found command prompts on Google to fully uninstall Xcode, however since my terminal doesn't respond to commands I can't uninstall -> reinstall Xcode.

Thanks for your help guys,
- Nik

EDIT: Also this may be helpful in diagnosing the problem as I suspect it's where things went wrong.
Code:
Niklas-Kunkels-MacBook-Pro:~ Niklas$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:~/bin/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
I've been told to delete a bunch of plist files that bash loads whenever you open a new terminal seshion, however am having trouble finding them.'

EDIT2: I've managed to reinstall XCode, however the terminal still won't recognize most commands I input such as "gcc --version" despite ruby having been installed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Passwords | Downgrading to Snow Leopard on a Partition »