New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion Upgrade - now external HD wrong format

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melodicskies

melodicskies is on a distinguished road

Hi there, recently upgraded my OS to Lion and everything seems to have worked smoothly except that one of my external HDs (a Western Digital 2tb My Book) is now showing formatted as "Windows NT Filesystem" and will not mount from disk utility. Verify Disk and Repair Disk do nothing. HD doesn't show in System Profiler.

Odd thing is that I have an identical HD which didn't change formats and works just fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to format, mount, and access the HD in question?

Thanks.

2.8 Ghz intel Core i7
16Gb memory
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A hard drive can not arbitrarily change formats. How were you using the drive before you upgraded to Lion? Did you have an NTFS driver installed so that the drive could be read and written to? Snow Leopard had a built in capability to read and write to NTFS drives but that no longer works in Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
melodicskies

Thanks chscag. That must be what has happened, the drive had always been formatted this way and now I don't have the immediate capability to access it from the mac. Any suggestions on how I might be able to do so?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You could copy the data to another drive temporarily and reformat it as either Mac OS extended (Mac only) or FAT 32 (Mac and PC). The FAT 32 format is only useful if you are going to be using files that are less than 4 GB.

Perhaps a better alternative is Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X software. It is not free but will allow you to both read and write to NTFS drives from your Mac so there is no need to reformat.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
melodicskies

Awesome, thanks slydude. I'll give Paragon a whirl.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. There are a couple of pieces of free software that do the same thing but I can't attest to their reliability.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
melodicskies

Yep, Paragon does the trick. Thanks again to all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old email address | [HOW TO]: Restore colors to the Finder sidebar in Lion »