New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Downgrading to Snow Leopard on a Partition

Thread Closed

Eärendil

Eärendil is on a distinguished road

I have Lion as my operating system, but I want to use a partition with Snow Leopard so I can run Power PC files. I created the partition and I have the install disc on a flash drive, but I can't seem to get it to work. My question is how do I take Lion off and install Snow Leopard from a flash drive on just the partition?
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Do you have the Lion installer on a flash drive or Snow Leopard? If I remember correctly Snow Leopard was only distributed on DVD. The easiest thing to do would be to boot from the DVD and run the installer.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Also, newer Macs will probably not run Snow Leopard.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1 to what member Dysfunction stated. If you have a late model Mac, it won't matter if you created a partition for Snow Leopard, it won't load or run. No driver support for the hardware.
Eärendil

Eärendil is on a distinguished road

Actually, I got mine in early 2011 which apparently was the last batch to have Snow Leopard, because it was on there when I bought the computer. However, they don't (unless you ask at least) give you a hard copy of the operating system. So anyway, I had Snow Leopard and updated to Lion, but since Apple took Snow Leopard out of the app store, I downloaded a copy of it from elsewhere, and it is mountable on a flash drive.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you purchased your Mac in early 2011 and it came pre-installed with Snow Leopard, then you must have the Snow Leopard 2 DVD set which is specific for your machine. And since Snow Leopard is not downloadable from anywhere you downloaded an illegal copy.

Sorry, but something isn't right here. This thread is now closed.

Thread Closed

« Really screwed up my Terminal | HELP! Internet Issue iMac OSX Lion!? »