New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Programs and music running off my external hard drive keep freezing and unfreezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajhyun1601

ajhyun1601 is on a distinguished road

So I installled a 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III Gbps as the main drive and replaced my superdrive with a 750GB 7200RPM hard drive for extra storage. I also have a 8GB DDR3 memory. All is great but I seemed to notice that any programs running off of my external storage device (music - itunes and Call of Duty modern warfare 4 etc) keeps freezing. Sometimes it unfreezes and starts playing the music or game again but sometimes it takes a little while for it to unfreeeze. E.g. when I play music it randomly stops and then then starts playing again. Its really annoying as I can never get a smooth playtime with either games or listening to music. Also when it's stopped, if I click on the itunes the rainbow whirling icon pops up.
Anybody have any advice??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How about some specs for your Mac? You stated external drive, but are you referring to the 750 GB drive you added in the superdrive bay or another external drive? Because, running graphic intensive games from an external drive is not recommended. Even if the drive is attached via FW800 some games will still lag.
QUOTE Thanks
ajhyun1601

The basic specs are 2.2 GHz, i7 quad core processor, DMI 5 GT/s, running the latest Lion OS X 10.7.4 with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB graphics card.

Oh I see. Okay well gaming I can understand, but what about my itunes and music?

Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh I see. Okay well gaming I can understand, but what about my itunes and music?
Running the iTunes library (and playing music) from an external drive should be OK. There may be something else going on if you're getting lag when playing music.
QUOTE Thanks
ajhyun1601

Do you have any ideas what exactly is going on?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The only thing I can suggest is to run verify and repair from Disk Utility to see if there are any errors on the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
ajhyun1601

When I verified the disk it said "Mactintosh HD 2 seems to be okay" but when I tried to repair it the message "Couldn't unmount disk" popped up. What exactly does that mean?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Since you were running Disk Utility from the disk you were verifying, it has to be unmounted first in order to repair it. The easiest way to do that is to use your recovery boot DVD to boot the machine and do the repairs from Disk Utility located on the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder Help | Power PC G5 - upgrade to latest OS? »