New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryanlsmith

ryanlsmith is on a distinguished road

Was curious if anyone knew of a script or easier way to do this process. I have a bunch of folders that correspond with jpg's that have the same identity. Instead of manually dragging and dropping each one into their folder is there a way to do this with some automation possibly? I have included a screenshot to give you more of a visual of what I am referring to. Thanks so much for any help.

-Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-06-01 at 9.39.27 AM.png (41.1 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Don't know of an easier way. But, how did you get it like that in the first place? Can't you create a folder then save to it?
QUOTE Thanks
ryanlsmith

A little bit about how it gets there toMACsh. I have a script that creates the folders for me right now. And then I have jpgs that I have to rename to the same number as the folder. I then export all of the jpgs I need to the main folder that all of the folders live in. Does that make sense? Its a lot easier to explain in person
QUOTE Thanks
ryanlsmith

I shoot product photography and these are the sku numbers that go with the product. But I save everything out at once in batches. A lot easier instead of creating the folder and then finding it and saving to that and then the next one.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I don't know if you can use Automator to select a folder, copy its name, select a file, rename it then place it in the folder. (did I get that right?) But in your list, I don't see two files with the same number sequence. I can only assume that you will have additional files with the same number in the file name. Otherwise, you don't need a folder for just one item.

I've not been much help, but then, no one else is chiming in. I've seen people refer to Name Mangler for naming automation. Maybe take a look at that and see if it helps. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerMac G5 Update | Programs and music running off my external hard drive keep freezing and unfreezing »