New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

No library folder in Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brentpd

brentpd is on a distinguished road

I have os x version 10.6.8 and there is no library folder on my computer. I tried the "go" menu in finder and holding down the option key and nothing appeared. I also tried searching the term "library" in both finder and spotlight and nothing came up. Am I missing something essential on my Macbook?? (I bought it used, so I am not the original owner...)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Although I'm still using Leopard, the first time I heard about the User's Library folder being hidden was after Lion was released. Don't get me started on Spotlight, the most useless piece of software on my Mac. (I never use it, therefore it's useless. But, I stopped using it after multiple searches were fruitless.) Ok, I'm a self-starter...

Try a different user account and see if it's there. Of course, it won't be the same one as in your regular account, but if that works, your account holds the key to the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

There are Library folders in three different locations under 10.6.8. They are in the following locations:

1. One Library folder is at the root level of your startup drive.
2. One is inside the System folder that is at the root level of your hard drive.
3. One Library folder is inside of your User folder. So the path might be, for example, Hard Drive/User/Bob/Library. In Snow Leopard all of these folders are visible.

In Lion the Library folder that is inside your user folder is hidden. If your Mac is running properly these folders are there. Particularly the Library folder at the root level of the drive. It contains files vital to proper operation.

Edit: I can't seem to find the reference right now but I believe Spotlight is not finding these folders because it ignores System files by default. Hopefully the brain trust here will correct me if I am wrong.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentpd View Post
I have os x version 10.6.8 and there is no library folder on my computer. I tried the "go" menu in finder and holding down the option key and nothing appeared. I also tried searching the term "library" in both finder and spotlight and nothing came up. Am I missing something essential on my Macbook?? (I bought it used, so I am not the original owner...)
The Library folder must be there. You absolutely would not be able to log into your Mac without it. Even "if" the root Library or your user Library got deleted, they'd be recreated from scratch when you log in. As mentioned, the user Library is hidden by default now in Lion, but you are on Snow Leopard so that's not the problem.

The only thing that makes sense is that you have somehow gotten it to be hidden. Grab TinkerTool. It's a free app and has an option to enable the viewing of hidden files in Finder. Tell us if the folder appears once that option is enabled.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Don't look under the Go menu on Snow Leopard. Open Users, Username and it should be in there. That is the Users Library folder. Like Sly said there are 3 Library folders.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External drives not loading | Find hard drive space in Lion »