New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Hard drive issue: Free space keeps increasing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Neekz15

Neekz15 is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I just joined here, so if Iím posting somewhere where Iím not supposed to please let me know. I have a 2008 Macbook Unibody and I have recently upgraded to Lion. The issue that Iím having is the following. On the desktop where i can see my hard drive and indicates the available space I show the following: 249gb ....580gb free. So basically I have the original hard drive that came with the system which is 250gb but I have 580gb free and it keeps increasing by the minute. I have verified the disk under disk Utility no problems were found, I have repaired the disk's permission everything is ok, but I donít understand why that is happening, it just doesnít make sense for the free space to keep increasing by the minute when Iím actually downloading more things....
I'm on 2gb RAM I know itís not enough that's why I have ordered 8GB ram and should be arriving in the next couple days.(hopefully this will fixing issue, but now sure)
Could it be the insufficient RAM causing this issue?
Could it be that my Hard drive is going bad and needs changing?
I have spoken to someone from Apple tech support and they told me that the hard drive shouldnít be going bad and most likely could be the RAM causing the issues.
What do you guys think, if anyone could shed some light here I would really appreciate it..!!!

Thank you in advance..!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Neekz15

Guys,

I know what i'm asking is strange but can anyone shed some light...???
Please helppppp!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Neekz15

Hi All,

Quick question, i have Lion installed already but i want to reinstall it from a USB drive. My question is do i have to uninstall pre existing lion or can i just boot computer using USB(with lion) and doing the installation ontop of the already existing one....??
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

why would you want to overlay existing osx first place ?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

It will be done over the top of existing but unless you wipe the HD and install it it will do what we call a Archive and Install keeping all settings as was with the existing OS. What you will get is exactly as you have now. To do a clean install you need to boot into the USB find Disk Utility, wipe your HD then install the OS.
You didnt specify what you wanted to do.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Neekz15

Thank you,

But the reason why i want to do this is because of this:

The issue that Iím having is the following. On the desktop where i can see my hard drive and indicates the available space I show the following: 249gb ....580gb free. So basically I have the original hard drive that came with the system which is 250gb but I have 580gb free and it keeps increasing by the minute. I have verified the disk under disk Utility no problems were found, I have repaired the disk's permission everything is ok, but I donít understand why that is happening, it just doesnít make sense for the free space to keep increasing by the minute when Iím actually downloading more things....
I'm on 2gb RAM I know itís not enough that's why I have ordered 8GB ram and should be arriving in the next couple days.(hopefully this will fixing issue, but now sure)
Could it be the insufficient RAM causing this issue?
Could it be that my Hard drive is going bad and needs changing?
I have spoken to someone from Apple tech support and they told me to reinstall Lion and most likely will fix the problem, that is why i want to do a reinstall..
What do you guys think, if anyone could shed some light here I would really appreciate it..!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First, what is the actual capacity of the drive? Which drive do you have?

I don't see how memory or the lack of could create that problem. My first guess is that it's a error with the hard drive. Make sure you backup everything on the drive before doing anything else. The drive appears to be reporting incorrect information to the system which is why the capacity is wrong.

You may have to erase the drive, format it, and reinstall to see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't and the drive is still under warranty, ask for a RMA or return it where you purchased it from.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@Neekz15

Please do not start a new thread when the subject and problem you're experiencing is the same. Always continue to post to the original thread. I have merged your threads and also answered your question.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Neekz15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@Neekz15

Please do not start a new thread when the subject and problem you're experiencing is the same. Always continue to post to the original thread. I have merged your threads and also answered your question.

Thanks.

Sorry about that, i'm a newbie what can i say... Thank you...!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Neekz15

Thanks Everyone,

It seems that there was a bug, which wasn't letting the hard drive to calculate the correct available free space. I ended up reinstalling Lion from USB and resulted in solving the problem. I just hope it doesn't occur again though.

Thanks again...!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issues installing SSD in MBP | App Store - Lion - Download? »