New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

VLC & Skype won't work on 10.7.3 & 10.7.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shabnaza

shabnaza is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm not sure if anyone has encountered this but after installing 10.7.3 update through Software Update module, Skype & VLC just wouldn't work. On launching the application the icon would just bounce off the dock indefinitely. I tried re-installing 10.7.3 through combo update but that didn't fix the problem.

Now even after updating to 10.7.4 through Software Update the problem persistes.

So just a simple request.

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Can you tell us a bit more about your macs specs? I am running the current versions of both programs under 10.7.3 and 10.7.4 with no problems. I am curious about the following:

1. Type and Year of Mac
2. Amount of ram on the Mac
3. Versions of both Skype and VLC.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
shabnaza

Thanks Slydude. The below link is a screenshot which will answer your first 2 questions.

http://tinypic.com/r/scc6c2/6

VLC -> 2.0.1

Skype -> 5.7.0.1103
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Looks like you and I have the same version of VLC. My version of Skype has a different (slightly older) number but when I have it check for updates Skype says I'm current.

If you log tint another user account on the same Mac do these programs launch properly? I suspect there nay be a corrupted preference file.

QUOTE Thanks
shabnaza

Ok. So I just tried it but it doesn't work there either. I created a Test account with Administrator privileges.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

In that case I would probably reinstall both programs.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac G5 Hard Drive Issue | Newbie »