New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Admin Password Prompt Broken

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmsict

cmsict is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Any time I get prompted to enter administrator account information during a software installation, the prompt is broken and is missing text on the window and buttons. For example, when trying to update Adobe Flash Player:

The operating system was updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard to try and fix the problem but this was unsuccessful.

Is there a way to repair this part of the OS?

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

It looks like you tried to post a screen cap, but it's missing. At any rate, if upgrading the OS didn't even resolve the issue, then the problem is more likely to be hardware related. A screen cap might help. If the screen cap doesn't show this defect, then that would actually help confirm that the problem is hardware, such as the graphics card.

If it is simply text that looks odd, then you may have a corrupt font. In that case, run Font Book, click on one of the fonts in the list, then press COMMAND-A to select all of them, then run Validate Fonts from the menu.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
cmsict

Thanks for responding. The image appears to be showing on some computers but not all, so I'll repost just in case:

This only happens on admin password prompts to my knowledge. It's not that the fonts look weird, there's just no text at all. Unless those prompts use a unique font, I don't see how it could be font corruption without it affecting other windows.

I ran the font validation anyways: there were a ton of duplicates, and a couple that said "'kern' table structure and contents" (Bauhaus, MIHAELAB.TTF). If either of these is the font used by the prompt you're probably right. Otherwise something else is going in.

Anyways, I can still use the prompt, knowing roughly what text is missing, so it's just more of an annoyance. Thanks for your input!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsict View Post
Thanks for responding. The image appears to be showing on some computers but not all, so I'll repost just in case:

<snip>

This only happens on admin password prompts to my knowledge. It's not that the fonts look weird, there's just no text at all. Unless those prompts use a unique font, I don't see how it could be font corruption without it affecting other windows.

I ran the font validation anyways: there were a ton of duplicates, and a couple that said "'kern' table structure and contents" (Bauhaus, MIHAELAB.TTF). If either of these is the font used by the prompt you're probably right. Otherwise something else is going in.

Anyways, I can still use the prompt, knowing roughly what text is missing, so it's just more of an annoyance. Thanks for your input!
Does this happen only with the Flash installer? The error does suggest you have a font problem. Make backup copies of those two fonts, then delete them, reboot, and re-try the installer. You might want to clean up the duplicates also.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
cmsict

No, the problem occurs on all prompts like that one. I tried your suggestion but it did not help (those were weird fonts not used by the prompt anyways). However, I did manage to solve the problem by installing Onyx and clearing the font cache for System, Adobe, and Microsoft fonts. When I restarted I got several prompts for fonts that conflicted with system fonts, and I click "Move to Trash" on all of them. Then I ran the installer successfully. I did not clear duplicates but I assume this was part of the problem due to the nature of the errors I received.

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Listen to wifi radio | Odd "Snowy" Graphic Artifact in Web Browsers. . . »